Audio Speakers/New Home Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mass-produced in-wall? No. Custom in-wall? Yes.

Many quality receivers have two independent zones available - one is surround capable with a separate subwoofer channel, and the other zone is just plain stereo (which is likely fine on the porch or pool).

The main issue I ran into with that is the 2nd zone will not be able to play a digital signal. So if the OP is using an HTPC or HDMI from a DVD player, virtually no receiver can convert that digital signal to an analog signal.

I had to work around that for my house. We use the HTPC for music and streaming some TV. So we use the HDMI output for the video and have to make the computer use it's S/PDIF output for the audio. the signal goes into our indoor receiver for movies and music, then through the S/PDIF output to go to a S/PDIF input of a separate receiver that we use for our patio music.

Maybe I'm just stupid and did more steps that actually required, but once i figured it all out, we love the final set up.

trollkepr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Above and beyond the brand of system is how and where the speakers are placed. I moderate system can sound great if done right. It would be worth having a sound engineer do an acoustic study on your house.

A Bose system will sound good at a fair price unless you are a major audiophile. Unless you have a blacked out specialty theatre room I think you can't beat the quality of TV's now.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main issue I ran into with that is the 2nd zone will not be able to play a digital signal. So if the OP is using an HTPC or HDMI from a DVD player, virtually no receiver can convert that digital signal to an analog signal.

I had to work around that for my house. We use the HTPC for music and streaming some TV. So we use the HDMI output for the video and have to make the computer use it's S/PDIF output for the audio. the signal goes into our indoor receiver for movies and music, then through the S/PDIF output to go to a S/PDIF input of a separate receiver that we use for our patio music.

Maybe I'm just stupid and did more steps that actually required, but once i figured it all out, we love the final set up.

That's pretty normal. FWIW, my receiver in the house is a Yamaha HTR-6160 (identical to the RX-V663... just the "cheaper" HTR badge... even the internals are identical). I'm not sure why they don't route the digital signals to them (maybe some strange license enforcement).... Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't do BTB or WTW. That reminds me... it's that time to open it up and clean it out again...

Above and beyond the brand of system is how and where the speakers are placed. I moderate system can sound great if done right. It would be worth having a sound engineer do an acoustic study on your house.

A Bose system will sound good at a fair price unless you are a major audiophile. Unless you have a blacked out specialty theatre room I think you can't beat the quality of TV's now.

All good... except the Bose part. Bose relies on a lot of processing to sound good... and they are a good example of "anything can sound pretty good if you throw enough processing at it". You can't just buy Bose speakers... you have to have the entire system... and if the receiver fails or you decide to upgrade, you're either stuck buying Bose again or replacing speakers. It's great if you want a one-stop everything-matches-out-of-the-box setup, but a better can likely be had for less if you're smart with components.

Also, when shopping for TVs, check how far you can get to the side without the image changing. That's the main reason we haven't upgraded our 32" from 2006. You can stand dead even with it at 6 feet away and subtitles are still readable.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you guys helped me out a ton. I still haven't decided what I want to do, and luckily my house won't be ready until Oct. After reading on here, and looking online I think I might have some ideas now. Anyone ever put a speaker in their kitchen connected to the TV in living room? The kitchen will be open, connected to the living room and I didn't know if when you had parties or games on, yall enjoyed standing around the kitchen listening to music or the game.

My living room and kitchen are the same room, the rear ceiling surround speakers are on the back wood nearly in be kitchen so I have no need to add more. It's plenty loud on a music channel. We just got back in after a 5 week remodel so guess when we have a party we will be able to test it out, but that's weeks away.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we moved out of our 2250 square foot home into our "less than 400 square foot" RV, I tried to hang onto my stereo system. I am more of an audiophile than I am one wanting to really improve TV sound. What I learned over the years was to spend more on the "source" of the sound and the "end" of the sound. Back when turntables (record players) were still in vogue, the "source" was the cartridge on the turntable and in any event, the speakers are the end of the process. So, considering our much better sound "sources" today, I'd spend a lot more on the speakers than I would on the rest of the components.

I finally had to give up on the "home" stereo system when the wife decided she wanted a sewing center in the RV. So I sold my system to a nephew. My last set of speakers were towers from Boston Acoustic. When the wife tired of my previous speakers and wanted something in a tower instead of big "boxes" we went shopping. When we encountered the Boston Acoustics, they were a few hundred dollars over her "budget idea" for speakers. But, when she heard them over the other, cheaper, options, she readily decided to agree on the Boston Acoustics.

But, it all depends on YOUR needs for sound. However, if at all possible, actually get to listen to the speakers and choose, but if you seriously intend to put them into the walls, listening won't mean a thing because your walls will vary the sound and they might not sound the same in your home.

Also, with respect to Bose, I've been in audio since the late '60's and I've NEVER been impressed with Bose.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But, when she heard them over the other, cheaper, options, she readily decided to agree on the Boston Acoustics.

Funny how that works. When I met my wife, she thought I was crazy for spending any more than $15 on a pair of headphones. I owned some Sennheiser HD-280's (~$170 at the time... now just $99) and after she used them a while on a long trip she "came to the other side". I use them now when I'm mowing and weedeating - if I'm going to need noise protection, then I might as well have some good tunes.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not really recommend in-wall front/center speakers if you there is a bedroom or office on the other end of the wall, unless you back it up with sound insulation, or spend the big bucks on the higher end in-wall speakers. as for the rears or ceiling sound in other parts of the home, that would be fine.

Spend at least $650-800 on the amplifier...the features you gain by spending 100-200 more than the lower end models will pay for itself the first time you use it. I use my mobile phone through wifi and can control the amplifier and stream music to it, from anywhere I have wi-fi signal (which is a greater distance than bluetooth btw). Also if you do not plan on using 7.1 surround on your television. invest in a receiver that is capable of 7.1 but use 5.1 for the tv and you can have a remote source run the other 2.0 stereo channel in another part of the house or like myself, my patio in the backyard using outdoor speakers.

Amplifier brands I recommend in the mid level / entry level is Denon, some Yamaha's and a couple from Onkyo. Be sure they have individual powered channels, no sense getting great speakers and playing it on a cheap amplifier.

Be sure to match the front speakers and the center channel with the same crossover frequency...usually purchase all together, and typically in the same model series. Subwoofer you can always purchase at a later time as well as the surrounds.

At minimum at least have the contractor run you 16 gauge CL-2 rated wire and you can add the in-wall speakers later on (they are usually not that difficult to install and can be done on existing walls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom