Handheld Digital Scanners - Worth it or stick to Broadcastify.com?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, started a string on the Baofeng UV-5r, but one of my quests was to hear what is going on. News is relatively useless, slow and would like to get on the fly information. I have Apps, but would like to get a decent handheld digital scanner, I do understand that they can get quite pricey with DMR, Trunk and PT25 Licensing. My question is, what are the decent ones, Uniden or Whistler, rather go with a handheld simply for convenience and portability. I like the SDS100, but the GPS in the BCD436HP looks to be a better option due to the price difference and no add on needed...Or should I set my sights lower and get a lesser unit? Very open to suggestions.

Are any of these difficult to program?

Also this is meant for home and informational use, I do not want to have a radio room...

Last edited:

Raptor62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, started a string on the Baofeng UV-5r, but one of my quests was to here what is going on. News is relatively useless, slow and would like to get on the fly information. I have Apps, but would like to get a decent handheld digital scanner, I do understand that they can get quite pricey with DMR, Trunk and PT25 Licensing. My question is, what are the decent ones, Uniden or Whistler, rather go with a handheld simply for convenience and portability. I like the SDS100, but the GPS in the BCD436HP looks to be a better option due to the price difference and no add on needed...Or should I set my sights lower and get a lesser unit? Very open to suggestions.

Also this is meant for home and informational use, I do not want to have a radio room...
I really like my uniden sds100.
Programing is free software from uniden. I am an ol timer for me it was difficult. After many youtube training videos i finally figuered out to hear what i want in Edmond. Now it is easy to use but i had a time getting started. For travelling gps works great but i usually just use zip code when i get where i am going.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like my uniden sds100.
Programing is free software from uniden. I am an ol timer for me it was difficult. After many youtube training videos i finally figuered out to hear what i want in Edmond. Now it is easy to use but i had a time getting started. For travelling gps works great but i usually just use zip code when i get where i am going.
Did you need to get any special licenses, or are they included? Not FCC, but licenses to listen? Like DMR?

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, started a string on the Baofeng UV-5r, but one of my quests was to hear what is going on. News is relatively useless, slow and would like to get on the fly information. I have Apps, but would like to get a decent handheld digital scanner, I do understand that they can get quite pricey with DMR, Trunk and PT25 Licensing. My question is, what are the decent ones, Uniden or Whistler, rather go with a handheld simply for convenience and portability. I like the SDS100, but the GPS in the BCD436HP looks to be a better option due to the price difference and no add on needed...Or should I set my sights lower and get a lesser unit? Very open to suggestions.

Yes, having a real scanner is much better than relying on the internet. I have several Uniden digital trunking scanners, and they averaged about $125 each because they are several years old. However, I can monitor the Tulsa metro area.

You can hear things as they happen, with no delay. Broadcastify does have a delay of about one minute, and the app crashes frequently on me.

I keep a small dual-band ham radio antenna (2 meter and 70 cm bands) on the back of my car, and the scanner works very well when traveling. I also keep a multi-band car mount antenna in the house and get excellent results.

I use a Uniden BCT 125 to listen to the local repeaters, the CB frequencies, and air traffic. I have an attic j-pole for that one.

If you just want to hear local traffic (communications), the Unidens are all that you need.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC is fixing to go encrypted in addition to most of the agencies on the system. You'll also see more agencies moving to the system in the near future. Nichols Hills has applied, Piedmont and UC are in the process being onboarded. I'll try to get a more definitive date on the encryption when I go to work.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went with the SDS100, @bigfug purchased it prior to your post. Did you get further information? It works great, @BallisticGuy surprised with all the stuff we don't hear about, and have only had it since around noon. Hate to see it bricked by encryption, be out $715...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom