Handheld Digital Scanners - Worth it or stick to Broadcastify.com?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went with the SDS100, @bigfug purchased it prior to your post. Did you get further information? It works great, surprised with all the stuff we don't hear about, and have only had it since around noon.
I’ve got the same scanner - it’s a good one, and great for real time information. A couple of years ago I heard the Edmond police responding to a domestic call. I called a friend of mine and told him to look out his front windows because the police will be responding to his neighbor’s house. He got to the window just in time to see the police pull up.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went with the SDS100, @bigfug purchased it prior to your post. Did you get further information? It works great, @BallisticGuy surprised with all the stuff we don't hear about, and have only had it since around noon. Hate to see it bricked by encryption, be out $715...
It will be sometime this year, or at least that’s the goal. Equipment
has been purchased but not delivered. Have to touch every radio on the system for software update. Maybe 1/4- 1/3 of the way through that. Roughly 2500 handheld and mobiles for PD alone. Working with other agencies as they are concerned patches may break the encryption or cause interoperability issues. Another project ongoing causes some delays as well.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC is fixing to go encrypted in addition to most of the agencies on the system. You'll also see more agencies moving to the system in the near future. Nichols Hills has applied, Piedmont and UC are in the process being onboarded. I'll try to get a more definitive date on the encryption when I go to work.

That pretty much kills the fun in having a scanner.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went with the SDS100, @bigfug purchased it prior to your post. Did you get further information? It works great, @BallisticGuy surprised with all the stuff we don't hear about, and have only had it since around noon. Hate to see it bricked by encryption, be out $715...

I’m still on the fence.

I currently use SDR-RTL on the OK-WIN network. The SDS100 would just be handy when traveling.

Totally off subject, but still relevant.

We’ll have be on the W5IAS superlink amateur radio frequency this weekend at lake Ten Killer. I’m sure it’ll transition into National Weather Service Skywarn net by 5-6pm based on the recent HRRR models. I’ll be checking in on the net. It’ll be fun Saturday with the storms. The models are looking interesting!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC is fixing to go encrypted in addition to most of the agencies on the system. You'll also see more agencies moving to the system in the near future. Nichols Hills has applied, Piedmont and UC are in the process being onboarded. I'll try to get a more definitive date on the encryption when I go to work.
Are they planning to be encrypted full time? I was under the impression they would only go encrypted in the case when an operational need arises. If they go full time encrypted the news agencies will be upset.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they planning to be encrypted full time? I was under the impression they would only go encrypted in the case when an operational need arises. If they go full time encrypted the news agencies will be upset.

Full time. There are already encrypted talk groups and channels they use when the need arises. There are also several that are only granted to officers that need access to certain channels and requires authorization from command staff. This will just encrypt the stuff that isnt already. The news stations have their own radios, and they are programmed with what the dept allows them to have, not sure if that will change, but essentially its a stripped down basic patrol personality.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Full time. There are already encrypted talk groups and channels they use when the need arises. There are also several that are only granted to officers that need access to certain channels and requires authorization from command staff. This will just encrypt the stuff that isnt already. The news stations have their own radios, and they are programmed with what the dept allows them to have, not sure if that will change, but essentially its a stripped down basic patrol personality.
What's really moronic about encryption:

1) We pay them, taxes
2) Accountability, they are a public entity
3) few use scanners.
4) much is petty crime
5) the news will read anything the gov't hands them w/o question, that is now what they consider news.
6) Most criminals are too stupid to buy scanners...

Latest posts

Top Bottom