Ayoob on Revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He still has relevance but I would say his legal expertise and training for those new to the community is where he is most beneficial to the community. There are so many good sources now that finding your niche is necessary. Of course a revolver is better that a sharp stick. My comment was less on the subject and more about the presenter. Times change, tactics change and equipment change. Like I said he is valuable to the community but on some subjects I think his “authority “ are better left to others. Just my opinion.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^ Exactly. There was a time when a lot of us were more relevant than we are now. I've had tons of training and experience...DTI, Thunder Ranch, SWAT, AF Combat Arms and Security Forces, FBI Instructor schools, all sorts of instructor credentials both military and civilian, etc... But it was all in the 90s or earlier. Like you said, times, tactics, laws, equipment...everything changes over time. There are different ways of doing things these days than they were done back then. That's not to say those experiences aren't valuable...but they're definitely dated. I like to think I've kept up to date with at least some of the changes...but I still default to what I know.

What I said wasn't meant to demean Ayoob at all if that's how some perceived it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^ Exactly. There was a time when a lot of us were more relevant than we are now. I've had tons of training and experience...DTI, Thunder Ranch, SWAT, AF Combat Arms and Security Forces, FBI Instructor schools, all sorts of instructor credentials both military and civilian, etc... But it was all in the 90s or earlier. Like you said, times, tactics, laws, equipment...everything changes over time. There are different ways of doing things these days than they were done back then. That's not to say those experiences aren't valuable...but they're definitely dated. I like to think I've kept up to date with at least some of the changes...but I still default to what I know.

What I said wasn't meant to demean Ayoob at all if that's how some perceived it.
The big thing for me in the 70s and 80s was which stance to use on the bad guy Isocolese, Weaver or FBI. Decisions, decisions.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

You can only rise to the level you have been trained to.
Paronto

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Ayoob, I think he is still relevant, especially on his advice about what to do in certain situations, I'm not a fan of the rug though, but that's his business, I'm the one that's dated though, I grew up with cap and ball guns, and they worked ok for the occasional Indian, then we got cartridges and so on. As for tactics, most of what I know I learned from Andy of Mayberry, Andy didn't get dressed up like he was getting ready to invade Poland, but he was effective, I thought Barney had some issues, but he had heart, and Aunt Bee made you want to turn yourself in for something just to get fed. So yeah, I guess things have changed, but those will always be the good ol' days.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Ayoob, I think he is still relevant, especially on his advice about what to do in certain situations, I'm not a fan of the rug though, but that's his business, I'm the one that's dated though, I grew up with cap and ball guns, and they worked ok for the occasional Indian, then we got cartridges and so on. As for tactics, most of what I know I learned from Andy of Mayberry, Andy didn't get dressed up like he was getting ready to invade Poland, but he was effective, I thought Barney had some issues, but he had heart, and Aunt Bee made you want to turn yourself in for something just to get fed. So yeah, I guess things have changed, but those will always be the good ol' days.

I miss the good ol days. :cry3:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm with you, and my lack of being able to articulate my position to civilians has caused me grief here more than once 😄.

I think that 99% of us on here are outdated in our training (Whatever it was). Those who still do the high-speed stuff...don't visit forums to BS. Like you; I went through a lot of courses. I was an 8531 (Primary Marksmanship Instructor), then 0931 (Combat Marksmanship Trainer)...same thing essentially as the former was grandfathered into the latter, but I did get to attend the course a second time for shits and giggles. Went through MOUT and BUST Instructor courses, and probably ran somewhere between 1,500 and 2K dudes through CMP/EMP (Combat/Enhanced Marksmanship Program) prior to their deployments during my 17 years holding those MOS's. Yet, 5 years after my retirement I bet 75% of the information has changed.

It's not the "when did you go through X...Y...Z... school" that gets me. It is the "have you done anything besides attend a school" that I care about. I want to know how you did when you had to apply what you learned.

* There are so many excellent SMEs out there with great credentials and real-world experience, and fantastic courses...yet often they are overshadowed by others who blog better, or interview better, or put out more YouTube videos.

In Mas' case, I'd listen to him day and night regarding legal examples of firearms use by civilians. There is a window of knowledge where I consider him to be an authority for sure. However, would I pay him any attention regarding tactics and equipment? No. Would you take boxing lessons from a guy who's never been in the ring?

I'm sure I'll get lit up for it again (I'll sleep just fine as usual), but you aren't going to catch me throwing any stones your way man.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

LOL that rug really distracts from whatever he's saying.

e1764d68-fb65-4006-83cf-8ee4e4f48a2b_text.gif

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My days of taking out the bad guy physically are over. I realized this very painfully one day when I fell over just trying to put on my underwear. All my training is gone and my physical state keeps me humble and packing 24-7.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My days of taking out the bad guy physically are over. I realized this very painfully one day when I fell over just trying to put on my underwear. All my training is gone and my physical state keeps me humble and packing 24-7.
Just be attacked by an old, decrepit bad guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom