Back porch settling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our concrete back porch, is settling enough that the back step now has a big crack where is has pulled away from the house some. Wife and I are debating how to keep things from getting worse. Problem is that the house seems to be built on fill dirt and it is washing down the hill. We can not afford to have the house leveled or a retaining wall built and level the yard.

We are thinking of maybe making a small tier and trying to fill that so no more washes down the hill. I have also thought about maybe a couple rolls of galvanized steel edging buried at the edge of the porch.

Any suggestion that will not cost an arm & a leg?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ever since we had those years of earthquakes, our house foundation, driveway, sidewalks and shop foundation all move separately from each other lol. Depending on the time of year and rainfall, it can all look perfectly normal one month or there can be large gaps between adjoining surfaces the next month. I'll spend the money on it if we ever need to move.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is no one cares to tie slabs together with rebar.
If it was mine and I did not build it and had to fix it I may just tear it all out and do it right.

But if I was wanting a cheaper fix i would get bottle jacks and secure a footing out from the slab that I could lay the jacks against and push the slab back where it needs to be .

If it wants to move anyway.
I would drill holes in the end and sides of the slab 8" from the edge so i could drive rebar into the holes and I would dig under the slab and make a footing with rebar in it.

My porch at my house was dug up and tossed.
I made it right.
24" footing Yea that's a thickened edge for sure.
8" wide at the bottom and tapers up to the slab that is 6" thickness minimum.
Rebar on 1 foot squares and house slab was drilled into and rebar pounded into the slab and tied to the new slab.

Yea overkill but No cracks 15 years later.

If jacking the slab does not move it I would still build a footing on all 3 sides of the porch with the rebar added and then fill the gap at the house.

Mice and rats like to get under porches and they remove a lot of dirt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom