Back porch settling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that cheaping out on a fix now, may result in having to foot the bill/take the loss in equity on serous foundation and/or structural damage in the future. I’m not saying that you can’t fix this issue in an affordable fashion, but NOT fixing it right is gonna cost you a lot more than fixing it right.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Put a sheet of plywood over it. It will outlast you.

IMG_2249.gif

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best way I know is like someone else said. Just dig out about a food under the sagging corner, stick a bottle jack under it, and jack it back in place. Fill underneath with concrete, pavers, or something else to distribute the weight. Or if it's a really heavy or long piece, concrete over the bottle jack where it sits and let it hold the weight while the concrete sets. Once the concrete is cured, you have a time capsule bottle jack for someone else to find.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best way I know is like someone else said. Just dig out about a food under the sagging corner, stick a bottle jack under it, and jack it back in place. Fill underneath with concrete, pavers, or something else to distribute the weight. Or if it's a really heavy or long piece, concrete over the bottle jack where it sits and let it hold the weight while the concrete sets. Once the concrete is cured, you have a time capsule bottle jack for someone else to find.
This…

It’s a labor intensive dirty job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is no one cares to tie slabs together with rebar.
If it was mine and I did not build it and had to fix it I may just tear it all out and do it right.

But if I was wanting a cheaper fix i would get bottle jacks and secure a footing out from the slab that I could lay the jacks against and push the slab back where it needs to be .

If it wants to move anyway.
I would drill holes in the end and sides of the slab 8" from the edge so i could drive rebar into the holes and I would dig under the slab and make a footing with rebar in it.

My porch at my house was dug up and tossed.
I made it right.
24" footing Yea that's a thickened edge for sure.
8" wide at the bottom and tapers up to the slab that is 6" thickness minimum.
Rebar on 1 foot squares and house slab was drilled into and rebar pounded into the slab and tied to the new slab.

Yea overkill but No cracks 15 years later.

If jacking the slab does not move it I would still build a footing on all 3 sides of the porch with the rebar added and then fill the gap at the house.

Mice and rats like to get under porches and they remove a lot of dirt.
Exactly. Each slab has to be tied in by drilling into the existing slab and using rebar that is extended into the newly poured area so they will remain level and connected. Every contractor knows this, but in the interest of “I’ll be long gone before anything happens” attitude, you get the situation Rick is in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

After you bottlejack the slab use this foam to keep it up.

How long before that foam degrades and no longer supports?
I’ve used that foam to seal around a deer blind roof to keep out insects. It is exposed to UV sunlight so there is that, but after a couple years, it’s pretty crumbly and certainly not capable of holding up a slab. Again, sunlight is the big factor in my installation where the video gets none.
I like the initial concept of the foam though.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long before that foam degrades and no longer supports?
I’ve used that foam to seal around a deer blind roof to keep out insects. It is exposed to UV sunlight so there is that, but after a couple years, it’s pretty crumbly and certainly not capable of holding up a slab. Again, sunlight is the big factor in my installation where the video gets none.
I like the initial concept of the foam though.
I think the foam would be a lifetime fix, no UV under the slab, and as you know support should be thought of as pounds per square foot. when they drill it it's on 1 foot centers, so the foam is pretty much solid under the slab. It works well and it's what I would do, cost may be a factor, but compared to digging, mixing mud, doweling and just being a pain in the ass, it might not be too bad. After they foam they go back and fill the holes, so that could be a cosmetic factor. The plywood idea wouldn't last long, condensation would rot it out pretty quick. The digging and jacking method would work, but if your slab is big you will probably get stress cracks because the slab won't have even support, that's the beauty of the foam, total, even support, and quick. Be sure to get 3 bids, when you get into work of this nature, none of these guys know jack sh*t, but they are all crooks. Good luck.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our concrete back porch, is settling enough that the back step now has a big crack where is has pulled away from the house some. Wife and I are debating how to keep things from getting worse. Problem is that the house seems to be built on fill dirt and it is washing down the hill. We can not afford to have the house leveled or a retaining wall built and level the yard.

We are thinking of maybe making a small tier and trying to fill that so no more washes down the hill. I have also thought about maybe a couple rolls of galvanized steel edging buried at the edge of the porch.

Any suggestion that will not cost an arm & a leg?
Get more than one estimate!! I had one company that said we needed 16 piers around our house at $1,000.00 each, including two on a slab that didn't even have a footing, or foundation under it!! Another that said 14 I think? They both could get right on the job, not very busy!! We ended up using Metro Structural. A well established company that had been in business for 50/60 years, a guarantee is only good if the company is still in business! They did a excellent job, installed 12 piers, the total was $10,900.00 with a 20 year warrant. Their piers are adjustable so if there is more settling they can just dig them up, and adjust as needed, instead of having to install new ones. we had to wait several months, because they were so busy, that told me something as well!! Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom