Bad Boy Mower Deck Won’t Raise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Didn’t have a chance to go work on the mower today but I had the front two tires with me to get repaired. I don’t ever want to do that again.

Couldn’t find any replacement tires in the correct size so I figured next best thing was to get an inner tube for them. Tractor Supply only had one inner tube in the size I needed so I fixed one tire. Talk about a pain in the a**!!!

I’ve never took a tire off the rim and put it back on before and these little tires for a zero turn mower aren’t easy! It took me an hour to pop tire off one side of rim, slip the inner tube in there, and then somehow managed to use hand strength to get the tire back on the rim how it was supposed to be. One freaking hour!!

I really hope I don’t have to do the other tire…

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t have a chance to go work on the mower today but I had the front two tires with me to get repaired. I don’t ever want to do that again.

Couldn’t find any replacement tires in the correct size so I figured next best thing was to get an inner tube for them. Tractor Supply only had one inner tube in the size I needed so I fixed one tire. Talk about a pain in the a**!!!

I’ve never took a tire off the rim and put it back on before and these little tires for a zero turn mower aren’t easy! It took me an hour to pop tire off one side of rim, slip the inner tube in there, and then somehow managed to use hand strength to get the tire back on the rim how it was supposed to be. One freaking hour!!

Tractor supply probably has tire irons for sale. Or if you have a harbor freight. I’ve done small tires with a couple screwdrivers or pry bars but tire irons or spoons are good things to have.
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-general-purpose-tire-iron-93230.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tractor supply probably has tire irons for sale. Or if you have a harbor freight. I’ve done small tires with a couple screwdrivers or pry bars but tire irons or spoons are good things to have.
https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-general-purpose-tire-iron-93230.html
I used to change ATV tires all the time. Drove over them with the truck to break the bead and then use the spoons to change out.
Pro tip! Don't ever use WD-40 as a lube to put the tire back on the rim. Use dawn detergent with some water.
Reason why? I was racing three wheelers back in the early 80's and had to do my first time of changing tires. I'd watched the guys at tire shops spraying something on the tires to make it easier to put the tire back on the rim.
I used WD-40. Worked great!
The next morning, I rolled up to the starting line, flag dropped to start, and I just sat there with the rim spinning inside the tire.
It was embarrassing to say the least.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I used to change ATV tires all the time. Drove over them with the truck to break the bead and then use the spoons to change out.
Pro tip! Don't ever use WD-40 as a lube to put the tire back on the rim. Use dawn detergent with some water.
Reason why? I was racing three wheelers back in the early 80's and had to do my first time of changing tires. I'd watched the guys at tire shops spraying something on the tires to make it easier to put the tire back on the rim.
I used WD-40. Worked great!
The next morning, I rolled up to the starting line, flag dropped to start, and I just sat there with the rim spinning inside the tire.
It was embarrassing to say the least.

… I used WD-40. 🤣🤣🤣

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

harbor freight has a manual tire changer that actually works good.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I still haven’t bothered with repairing. Luckily for us up here in the flatland the lowest height it’s stuck on works perfectly.

Might be a pain to load on a trailer later if I need to.. If it makes it through the season we may send it to a repair shop to go through it completely, she definitely needs some TLC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom