bad day at gun show - high prices and hold on background check?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

johncarter

The wife and i went to the tulsa gun show today, $12.00 to get in the door. i found a polytek m1a but they wanted $1100 FOR IT - WOW!!!!! a couple of soringfield scouts were $1,400 to 1440. just looking for a shooter gun. I saw a couple of garands that had price tags of over $1,000.

found a h&r 45-70 talked them into a reasonabel price they started the asking price more than a new one at bass pro and this one had a chip in the stock..... so they got real with the price ...... filled out the paper work ...... the instant check came back as a hold????? never had that to happen before ...... no background problems as i do have C.C.

the sekler said that this some times happens????@#%^$^^ never to me??????? ever happen to others? any way to check to see why?

ended up going home after that.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John, lots of people get "delayed" on purchases. Its probably because you are a criminial (just kidding) Common names get delayed sometimes, or you may share a name with a criminal are what usually happens. If you have a clean record with no restraining orders, unpaid tickets or misdemeanors thats the most likely reason. If if happens again, you can get a unique personal identification number to avoid delays in the future.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm out on the $12.00 shows to see mostly high prices. There are a few good dealers but you can buy from them almost any day of the week. Superdave's show was worth the 6 bucks especially since my kid was free to get in.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it happen once.. probably because I had bought a pistol the day before in another nearby town... the dealer just asked to talk to a supervisor.. and got the sale approved in only a minute or so. He told me it wasn't unusual to get the initial delay.. and that they always asked to talk to a supervisor [mainly if it is during the week Monday- Friday] and 99% of the time it was then approved. Like you, I have a CC license.. the dealer told the supervisor and that helped get the OK.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
John, those prices don't sound all that out of line. My experience is that the best deals at gun shows are from individuals walking around.

A lot of OSA sponsors set up and have good prices. Additionally, SuperDave's shows have been pretty successful.

BTW, welcome to OSA. Stick around and participate and you'll find good deals in the classifieds.

J

johncarter

thanks for letting me know that i am not the only one to be delayed...... yes i do have a checkered past. .... about 8 years ago .... i did have a speeding ticket - 7 mph over the speed limit.

i used to be on the forum some ---- bought a couple guns in the past. with new email address just signed up again.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes there were some high prices I saw today but also a few good deals. I need to stop going to gunshows though. Things keep following me home this time was ruger sr40 Actually saw some decent prices on ar 15's but alas not enough money to afford one for another month or two. Saw a pile of new colt LE6920 for about $1075 or so. Too bad I had to leave and come to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom