Bad news from the mechanic...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to offend you but its going to be hard to keep a vehicle that old and not have to the ability to work/fix it yourself. There is really nothing wrong with that until it comes time for major repairs.

Most people I know would ditch the crappy AMC 258 and swap in a fuel injected Chevrolet engine. This is very popular to do but it can be expensive also unless you would be willing to do a lot of the labor.

That is a high-dollar swap that is totally unneeded. If someone just had to have a V8, the AMC V8 is way easier. The bellhousing bolt-pattern is the same, the radiator hoses match. Just get the V8 rt side motor mount. You can go from 290-401 AMC V8s.
Or..... You build the 258 right and it will not let you down. They typically need some head milling due to warpage. Mine took .060. New aluminum piston set (9.0:1 comp). With the milled head, you should wind up at 9.25 to 9.5:1 comp. Mild cam, aftermarket 4bbl intake w/Holley 390cfm carb, Clifford 3 into 2 headers. http://www.cliffordperformance.net/
Mine was an '81 an dhad the SR4 aluminum-case 4-spd. It is too weak to handle any more than the stock 258. AMC used these on cars as well. I swapped to the T-18 4spd.
If you want a salvage motor, it can come from any AMC.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jerry....

I have a spare 258 that I might sell. I have an 83 also. I know some Jeep guys in Woodward that often take out the OEM stuff, and have the take out parts often. You can also find a 258 in those AMC Eagles. I see them pretty often. What part of town do you live in?

Sorry to hear Glyn is out of the pic.
Is his son not still working on them?

You can just give me the old turd. I promise I will care for it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
has another mechanic looked at this motor?

anytime a mechanic gives an outrageous price ... especially to someone non-mechanical. the quote is suspect.

dishonest mechanics have been know to prey on folks that wouldn't know the difference if it wacked em in the head. this happens to women and men both.

don't get me wrong... not saying the mechanic that gave the super high quote is dishonest.... but what I am saying is ... doesn't hurt to double check.

LOTS of things can cause loud clanking noises in a motor. it could be a bad idler bearing or an AC compressor going out, etc. for all we know....

Good Evening, Everyone.

Well, I'm not sure how to approach this, but I occasionally post a comment or two on here and have really enjoyed getting to read all the threads. In summary, I have a 1983 Jeep CJ-7 that is (perhaps was) a favorite toy.

Driving it two days ago I experienced a series of what can only be described as not-so-good noises emanating from the engine. I just had the Jeep in the shop for some other work, and I'm informed this evening that a rod has broken loose in the engine and the nominal fee will be a whopping $3,700 to replace the clutch and entire engine (mechanic recommended replacing the clutch since the engine would be out, but it's not mandatory).

I'm really just asking for your thoughts on this issue. I've had the Jeep for 7 years and was planning on selling it eventually, but I just put brand new tires on it, got it fixed up (previous visit to the shop for new muffler, carb work, etc).

Is there a less expensive way to go? I'm looking for any suggestions you folks might have, and they are greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to drop the $4k on it yet, so I'm just going to have it towed back to the house for now until I can figure out a good plan. If you prefer, you can PM me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jerry

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're still looking for a used engine, you might try A-Z Auto Parts (769-4122) and B&B Auto Parts (769-3341) in Nicoma Park. They are next door to each other and on competing networks. I think A-Z is part of a ~75 yard network and B&B is part of a ~34 yard network. So making those 2 phone calls will get you over 100 yards checked. They all free delivery within their networks so if the motor is a few states away, you can get it in 2 days at their yard in Nicoma Park. They both will offer warranties but I always buy without and it saves a decent amount.

The other large multi-yard network is LKQ. There is LKQ Apex in Tulsa, but LKQ Mid-America in Kansas services the OKC area. They will also free delivery to this area, but only to commercial shops. So if they have something you want, find a buddy that will allow you to deliver it to their mechanical shop or bodyshop. I think LKQ Mid-America is either 888-265-5300 or 800-265-5300.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Afternoon, Folks. First, I'd like to thank everyone VERY MUCH for contributing on this issue! I was able to find someone to rebuild the engine and do it in a short timeframe at a very reasonable cost. At the end of the day, I saved money (trust me, if I did it myself it would have cost much, much more), was able to focus on my "real" job, and get the Jeep fixed all because of your help.

I truly appreciate everyone that commented. Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom