Bad Weather Coming Tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pesticide residule such as Roundup doesn't contaminate a water source during a flood. Glyphosate is even used to eradicate water lillies.

Actually, pesticides can and do contaminate flood waters and are left behind as a result. Cleanup efforts by environmental groups will take that into consideration, along with pollution by petroleum products and the like.

Glyphosate and Roundup aren’t necessarily the same. The latter contains a surfactant, an amine, that’s more toxic than the active chemical itself and is often the source of fish kills.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, pesticides can and do contaminate flood waters and are left behind as a result. Cleanup efforts by environmental groups will take that into consideration, along with pollution by petroleum products and the like.

Glyphosate and Roundup aren’t necessarily the same. The latter contains a surfactant, an amine, that’s more toxic than the active chemical itself and is often the source of fish kills.

I'm sure there are pesticides that do, but I mentioned Roundup and glyphosate. Glyphos breaks down in a couple of weeks in sunlight even. So I'm thinking even at farm use quantities, 2gal glyphos per 1000 gal water would cover 100a. Cover 100a with say 3' of water, that 2 gal glyphos just got diluted with 13,068,000 of moving water. I dont see that killing a fish because of flooding. 2,4D amine takes twice that long, 2,4DLV 6 months in soil.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would all the fresh water coming in cause a turnover? We've had ponds turnover around here and cause a fish kill but I couldn't say it was from a flood.

I’m thinking the variation between warm water and cold water. Remember cold water is more dense. So it will sink. Couple that with winds and it could cause a sort of turnover.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roundup and glyphosate, despite having the same active ingredient, are not necessarily the same. Roundup has an additional chemical, an amine-based surfactant, that usually is the source of toxicity in fish. Also, in a 2012 study published in Environmental Monitoring And Assessments, fish exposed to Roundup at a concentration of 6.6 parts per billion (with a B) which corresponds to 3.2 ppb of glyphosate exhibited DNA damage in blood and hepatic cells. That’s a very low concentration, and other ingredients in Roundup and other glyphosate pesticides - which are not required by law to be listed - could have deleterious effects. We just don’t know for sure. Monsanto and other pesticide makers would rather not discuss them, naturally.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Roundup and glyphosate, despite having the same active ingredient, are not necessarily the same. Roundup has an additional chemical, an amine-based surfactant, that usually is the source of toxicity in fish. Also, in a 2012 study published in Environmental Monitoring And Assessments, fish exposed to Roundup at a concentration of 6.6 parts per billion (with a B) which corresponds to 3.2 ppb of glyphosate exhibited DNA damage in blood and hepatic cells. That’s a very low concentration, and other ingredients in Roundup and other glyphosate pesticides - which are not required by law to be listed - could have deleterious effects. We just don’t know for sure. Monsanto and other pesticide makers would rather not discuss them, naturally.

Does the anti-Monsanto study mention if it was fatal to the fish?

Latest posts

Top Bottom