Bag gardening.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This looks kind of interesting but I think container might be better in the long run.

This worked well for me for many years - it's a simple, weed-free way to grow lettuce, spinach and even radishes. Take a 2 cubic feet bag of potting soil (I used Miracle Grow), rumple it around quite a bit to loose the soil, poke quite a few holes in the back side for drainage, then lay the bag on a smooth surface that will allow drainage and not get too hot, and cut out the top, leaving about a 4 or 5 inch border all around. Lightly rake through the soil to even it out and loosen it even more, then carefully, and evenly sprinkle the seeds around. I put my salad green seeds in an old spice bottle with large shaker holes, added some cornmeal, shook it all up to mix well and sprinkled them out of it. I put the cornmeal in there to allow me to see that I had covered the soil evenly. If doing radish seeds or spinach, just make lines the depth mentioned on the seed pack, plant the seeds and cover appropriately. For salad greens I sprinkled a lite covering of soil over the cornmeal and seeds and then spray-misted to water them in. I put my bags on metal sawhorses and grates to make them waist level. This kept the bags off the hot concrete and I didn't have to bend over when cutting my salad. When harvesting, just use a pair of scissors and cut what you need - don't pull the plants out. Same goes for spinach - they will grow back almost magically overnight, and you can't tell where you cut. Spray mist the seeds and plantlings at first when watering, until they are established, then you can water more vigorously as the plants mature. You will probably need to water more often, since the depth of the bags are not as deep as a regular in-ground garden. I just kept mine moist, but not sopping wet.

[Broken External Image]

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... that IS interesting. I wonder ... :scratch: :scratch: I'm thinking if you laid a little irrigation line around the perimeter of each bag that would solve any watering problems. That sure sounds faster than the trays I used last year ... Hmmmmm ... I gotta go to Sam's Thursday anyway ... Wonder how GC feels about buying some dirt ... :naughty:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, tried to do something with tomatoes one year with 5 gallon buckets. The soil got WAY overheated during the day, they grew but didn't really produce and never got very big. Never had any problem with too much water was almost the opposite. Would have to have a way to keep them shaded or make sure they are on the east side of a building and out of the direct sunlight later in the day.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, tried to do something with tomatoes one year with 5 gallon buckets. The soil got WAY overheated during the day, they grew but didn't really produce and never got very big. Never had any problem with too much water was almost the opposite. Would have to have a way to keep them shaded or make sure they are on the east side of a building and out of the direct sunlight later in the day.

I tried that one year too, had the same results. Growing tomatoes in buckets just doesn't work very well.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to keep soil temps lower for fruiting (this term means bearing fruit or vegetables when used in this context) during the hottest times. Raised beds, container gardens and bag garden can suffer from the extreme ground temps during the summer months.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tried that one year too, had the same results. Growing tomatoes in buckets just doesn't work very well.
They're pretty great for indoor grows, especially if you grow from the top and bottom. I've actually been having great luck with milk crates and those fabric planter bags. The only PITA is getting specialty varietales that don't grow too large.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're pretty great for indoor grows, especially if you grow from the top and bottom. I've actually been having great luck with milk crates and those fabric planter bags. The only PITA is getting specialty varietales that don't grow too large.

you are growing tomatoes indoors? Tell us your secret!

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you are growing tomatoes indoors? Tell us your secret!

Huge south facing window, old bulb style grow light on a timer, and "tiny tim" cherry tomatoes seeds. Gotta pick breeds that are designed for indoor grow.

Edit: in college I learned I have a "knack" for growing things indoors ;)

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huge south facing window, old bulb style grow light on a timer, and "tiny tim" cherry tomatoes seeds. Gotta pick breeds that are designed for indoor grow.

Edit: in college I learned I have a "knack" for growing things indoors ;)

I had that same knack back in the day, houseplants are no problem for me LOL I have large south facing window and and tiny tim seeds! I also have some amazing heirloom seed I don't know what it is though the plants are indeterminate so not a good choice for indoor growing, I think. The tomatoes on them are literally not much bigger than a pea. They are like candy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom