Spring is Right Around the Corner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on experimenting planting Tomatoe plants mid Feb this year in the greenhouse (temperature controlled) Transplant outside when weather warms for early crop. Usually start plants end of March in greenhouse and transplant first of May. Transplanting may set them back a little but be nice having some early. Need more spaghetti sauce, make my own and can it. Last year tomatoe crop didn't make a whole lot.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents always planted their tomatos and other seeds for seedling in a open raised bed outside and covered with old glass windows and then covered them with feed sacks and other stuff on cold nights then uncover during the day if it was warm enough and we would put out 300 tomato plants each year and who knows how many squash, cabbage, and other plant. our garden space was alittle over a acre.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents always planted their tomatos and other seeds for seedling in a open raised bed outside and covered with old glass windows and then covered them with feed sacks and other stuff on cold nights then uncover during the day if it was warm enough and we would put out 300 tomato plants each year and who knows how many squash, cabbage, and other plant. our garden space was alittle over a acre.
I gave away +/- 100 tomato plants and near that many sweet potato slips last year. Only to fight the drought and heat and suffer from mater withdrawal. I sure hope we see some significant rainfall before spring. Otherwise we may have another rough one. Last year here was a near total failure and rather depressing after all the work and water addled.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, like that ... I think this plant is a Chicago Hardy. It is planted in a spot that is sheltered from both the north and west sides. And gets shaded morning sun. I want to try and root some stems this spring and plant a plant or 2 in the backyard to see if the afternoon sun affects fruit ripening. I have a TON of green figs every fall. I found a recipe for green fig preserves not too long ago so at least that fruit won't go to waste next fall. That used to break my heart. 😢
Green, unripened figs, likely no sugar content . I'll keep my eyes peeled for this.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do figs do well in OK? Never knew.. always assumed they had to be grown in the middle east.

You mean like this right?

View attachment 335604
Yes they do well , providing it's one of the many cold hardy varieties. Couple years ago, I believe I rooted about 175 cuttings . It's amazing what a following figs have. There's a fig forum where there's likely more signed in members than right here. There's a web site called fig bid where you bid on cuttings. Some of the "new" stuff can fetch a decent dollar for a stick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom