Basic Questions for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a question that I have been wanting to ask for some time, but just forget to ask it on one of these threads.

A couple of months ago there was a thread about an incident that someone here had when an officer stopped him for some minor traffic violation. The way I remember it was that he immediately told the officer he had a CCL. The officer asked to see his weapon. I believe he said that when he produced the gun the officer took the loaded gun from him. I admit to not being positive about the loaded gun part. However, as I recall the officer took the gun, unloaded it, looked at it and then returned it and the cartridges to the man.

The discussion that followed mostly focused on the issue of the cop taking his weapon from him. Most thought that the officer was wrong in taking and handling the weapon.

My question revolves the situation where some officer does ask to see your weapon and take it from you. If the gun is loaded do you unload it before giving it to him?

I have posed this question to a couple of really experienced people. Both suggest that any officer who asks you to see the weapon is simply creating a dangerous situation. They question why would they want someone they don't know to produce a loaded gun?

They suggest that would be a dangerous thing to do and I agree with them. Also, why create another dangerous situation by forcing someone to unload a gun. It simply doesn't make good sense.

However, if you are ever in a situation where an officer wants to take your loaded gun, do you ask if he wants you to unload it? Do you just unload it before you hand it to him?

My thought is that if put in that situation, I would attempt to unload it before handing it to him. My gut tells me that I don't want to hand a stranger, even if he is an officer of the law, my own loaded gun.

The more I think about this situation, the more I think the officer is flat out wrong in asking anyone for their weapon. The only instance where I think this is necessary is if the officer stops someone with a CCL for a more serious reason than a simply traffic violation.

Anyway, I just wanted to pose this question and see what kind of responses I got.

Whether you agree or disagree with what the officer is asking you to do, my advice to everyone I provided instruction to (and it's stated in the SDA handbook) "follow his/her instructions specifically!" I would NOT try to maniulate the controls of the handgun and any way. This could be misinterpreted as an aggresive action and I'm pretty sure you would not like the response. Same could be implied if you "refuse to comply".

I want the officer to do whatever is necessary to ensure we both remain safe and calm. If he needs to take posession of my handgun to maintain that reassurance then so be it. Do I LIKE it....NO. Do I understand it....Yes. Do I comply....Absofreakinlutely!!!

If you want to go on record with a camplaint I would recommend contacting the office at a later time.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Answer. The first thing I would do is say, it's in the left side of my waist, or wherever it is and ask if he could get it out, so as not to APPEAR to be drawing a weapon on the officer on his on-board dash cam that has no sound or anything.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I intentionally went through a roadblock here in Bryan county last Friday night to prove a point to a friend of mine that has been wanting to get his CCL but worried about being hassled if stopped.

We were in the bar when I received a phone call to inform me there was a roadblock about a mile down the road from the bar (I own the bar and was not drinking). I took his car just to complicate things a bit. We pulled up and stopped as directed by the officer in the middle of the dark road with nothing but a flashlight. Place my hands on the wheel as he approached the car. He asked for DL and insurance. Told him I was armed and needed to get my wallet from my pocket which I did. Handed him the CCl and DL together (as always) and told him it wasn't my car and that I had no idea where the insurance papers were.

He promptly asked what I carried, told him it was a Sig 229 with CT grips to which he replied. That should be enough insurance, have a nice evening and drive safe.

My friends will be in my next class....

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, with my luck, I would have had problems when I got to the part about the Insurance Papers, lol. Your story makes me feel better about the reaction from Police Officers; thanks for sharing it with us.

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes that would be a good idea, with all the soldiers around here it should bring plenty of money if they would offer rentals like they do in the city. I have a range available on a good size chunk of land but its about a 15mile drive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom