Batf rule changes on trusts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to pass along an email i received from my nfa trust attorney.

Matthew Winton wanted me to forward you the following advisory.
Advisory: Currently, the BATF is working on revised regulations pertaining to NFA trust applications. It may be that the final regulations require responsible persons, as defined in the reg, to provide fingerprint cards and photo IDs even when using an NFA trust. Under the gun trust that I use, this would include all trustees of the NFA trust. Another proposed change is to do away with the CLEO approval, but require copies of your application and stamp be sent to the CLEO upon registration..

grnflash

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that as well. I'd bet a wooden nickel that this is how (one of the ways) the BATF has decided to interpret the recent executive orders pertaining to them. The finger prints and photos would be a P.I.T.A., but then... the whole process is a P.I.T.A. [sigh...] I don't really have anything to hide from a CLEO, so placing them downstream in the process might actually help some folks without changing much for the rest.

Ultimately, though, it's still a good way to have a single weapon accessible to a limited group.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that as well. I'd bet a wooden nickel that this is how (one of the ways) the BATF has decided to interpret the recent executive orders pertaining to them. The finger prints and photos would be a P.I.T.A., but then... the whole process is a P.I.T.A. [sigh...] I don't really have anything to hide from a CLEO, so placing them downstream in the process might actually help some folks without changing much for the rest.

Ultimately, though, it's still a good way to have a single weapon accessible to a limited group.

This proposed rule change came out long before the recent EO's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had been watching Michael Banes on the best defense or shooting gallery you would know that the NFA community has been working several years to get the cleo signature requirement removed.

grnflash

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if they've been talking about this for a while, have they stated yet whether they're pushing for prints and pics on each and every form 1/4, or just once per individual? ...or is it that yet to be decided?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any idea of an implementation date? I just sent off some paperwork, but didn't include prints or photos, so I wonder if it will get kicked back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom