Beautiful day for shooting. Too bad I was busy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's not quite right. I was busy because my wife made me busy.
Day started out well enough with church and a nice lunch. No wind and weather was outstanding. Got home and shed the threads and put on the rags when my wife (love the woman) reminded me we needed to put out the fire ant granules in the yard. These are the fire ant granules that we don't have and will need to go to Ada to pick up (and drive right by my range). So. The day didn't go quite as planned. I spent the day watering the lawn down (because the ground needs to be a bit moist before application), spreading the granules (the bag we had to go get), then watering down the lawn after application. During this process my wife found a new gopher/vole/whatever the hell they are. This begun the 1,000 gallon process of drowning out the gophers/voles/whatever the hell they are, and the process is still going without so much as getting close to filling the tunnel.
Did I mention I loved my wife?
I think Karma is mad at me.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try carbonated water on the fire ants. I saw an article just the other day that said that it would do the trick. The carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so it displaces the oxygen in the fire ant tunnels and causes the poor dears to suffocate. The article, based on a study by the University of Georgia, stated that two cups of carbonated water (i.e., Club Soda) should kill the entire colony in as little as two days. Just pour it down the ant hole and wait a couple of days.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try carbonated water on the fire ants. I saw an article just the other day that said that it would do the trick. The carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so it displaces the oxygen in the fire ant tunnels and causes the poor dears to suffocate. The article, based on a study by the University of Georgia, stated that two cups of carbonated water (i.e., Club Soda) should kill the entire colony in as little as two days. Just pour it down the ant hole and wait a couple of days.
I just showed my wife a vid, on youtube, of a guy filling the tunnels with propane gas and blowing the tunnels up by igniting the gas. WOW THATS COOL!
She didn't seemed amused. As far as that goes, she may have me evaluated.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update! Karma definitely hates me.
No shooting. Afternoon spent putting out fire ant granules which requires a pre dampening of lawn and post dampening of lawn. Remember I said dampening.Finished and continued the never ending story of filling the mole/vole/whatever the hell they are tunnel(s). Never filled the darn thing when a storm blew up with a butt load of rain.
Got soaked turning off the hose to the mole/vole/whatever the hell they are hole and watched as the runoff takes my ant granules to my neighbor's yard(s). At least their fire ants will have a safe place to go (MY YARD).
Yep....Karma's got my number.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, fumes killed every last one of them.
If the water hose method is any indication, I'll need a buy a gas station to fill the tunnels.
Just kidding. How much gas did you pour down the holes? Did you do it to every mound? Did you cover and tamp down the mounds to seal the fumes in? Did it kill your grass?
You can see I desperate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom