Beef prices are going to get even higher. 10,000+ cattle in a Kansas feedlot die of heat stress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On another forum, there is a claim(from a supposed county agent) being made that there is an investigation into the cattle feed as being suspect.
thats my guess. probably their BUN was to high from to much nitrogen in the feed and along with the added heat the cattle suffocated. probably a nutritionist looking for gainful employment after this incident.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a feeling there’s more to the story. The heat mayve been a player but cattle been in that heat before and didn’t get dead. It is probably better for “someone” to blame the heat, maybe even get a lil benefit out of it rather than really getting to the root cause that may be an expensive lesson. Something just don’t smell right about this deal.
I’m dropping a 1400 pound steer off in the morning to put in the freezer. The local processor whos also a friend of mine got my steer a slot to kill. Daggum, he’s booked out over a year on guaranteed dates but can usually squeeze one or two in every week due to cancellations cause folks got all panicky last year and booked several dates. Some booked several dates with a plan to make good money selling beef. Well, he said quite often the people don’t show up to drop they cattle they booked. Really a crappy deal cuz while paper says he’s booked way out in reality many are cancellations. I told him I’d start charging a Daggum booking fee.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like folks need to start deer hunting. We have an over abundance of those damned things.
Yep, my freezer is mostly full of elk and deer, although a couple of friends want to raise a half dozen calves. Sell three and butcher three. Not sure if we want to do this as we are pretty happy with what we have.
If it was going to happen, there would be 30 days of corn for me on mine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another forum, there is a claim(from a supposed county agent) being made that there is an investigation into the cattle feed as being suspect.
News reports tonight said it was heat and humidity which I suspect as BS because the heat and humidity in Oklahoma and Texas is more brutal.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a feeling there’s more to the story. The heat mayve been a player but cattle been in that heat before and didn’t get dead. It is probably better for “someone” to blame the heat, maybe even get a lil benefit out of it rather than really getting to the root cause that may be an expensive lesson. Something just don’t smell right about this deal.
I’m dropping a 1400 pound steer off in the morning to put in the freezer. The local processor whos also a friend of mine got my steer a slot to kill. Daggum, he’s booked out over a year on guaranteed dates but can usually squeeze one or two in every week due to cancellations cause folks got all panicky last year and booked several dates. Some booked several dates with a plan to make good money selling beef. Well, he said quite often the people don’t show up to drop they cattle they booked. Really a crappy deal cuz while paper says he’s booked way out in reality many are cancellations. I told him I’d start charging a Daggum booking fee.
The processor my brother and I use is a small facility, and I’m pretty sure he’s booked for close to a year. We went ahead and booked two spots for next year‘s steers when we picked up this years meat.
The guy my brother gets his show steers from buys several kids steers after the show to resell. For legality purposes, he only sells the “steer” and gets it to the processor for the customer, and they pay the processor directly when the meat is ready. We haven’t figured out exactly how he’s making enough money to be worth the hassle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom