Being a 'Good Samaritan'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So you mention a shopping mall. I would consider that another "mass shooting" or "active shooter" scenario. That's not a robbery, that's a murder spree.

In that case, I will offer resistance as quickly as I can if that is possible.

Obviously, as Dave mentioned, there are a billion variables.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. I was wanting to continue the discussion.

Personally if I was pretty sure I could do any good against the BG, like, as you say, if he is fairly close to me I'd try and engage (shoot) him, then put my revolver away and wait for the LEO's to get me.

I'd try to convey to the arriving cops that I am hard of hearing and stay as still as the shakes permit.

Based on your physical challenges and whether they effect your marksmanship, the best you can do is be alert, be aware of your capabilities at any given time, try to act as early as possible and trust your instincts. Whether you seek hard cover, a place of concealment where you can potentially barricade against forced entry, or engage the shooter will depend on the unique circumstances at hand. That's really the best any of us can do.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you mention a shopping mall. I would consider that another "mass shooting" or "active shooter" scenario. That's not a robbery, that's a murder spree.

In that case, I will offer resistance as quickly as I can if that is possible.

Obviously, as Dave mentioned, there are a billion variables.
Quite so; I thought that we had covered the robbery thing fairly well, so I thought I'd move to the mass shooter scenario.

Of course, if you could make a valid contribution to the robbery in the OP, please do so. And not just you, either. Anyone is welcome to discuss it After all, there can be more than just robberies.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on your physical challenges and whether they effect your marksmanship, the best you can do is be alert, be aware of your capabilities at any given time, try to act as early as possible and trust your instincts. Whether you seek hard cover, a place of concealment where you can potentially barricade against forced entry, or engage the shooter will depend on the unique circumstances at hand. That's really the best any of us can do.
My marksmanship is not affected by my physical issues. I am a fairly decent shot, and part of my drills lately have practicing with my cane. My mobility is moderately affected, and there is the problem. While others might very well be able to get out of harm's way, I would have a more difficult time doing so. My best bet, like you say, might be to get behind some type of nearby cover and/or concealment and if I can, engage the bad guy.

Please understand that I hope this does not happen.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not intervene in a robbery in progress, I'd rather him take the cash and go.

If a mass shooting would occur, I would be defensive in posture. If he came upon me, I would defend myself and others. I would not pursue the threat -- I would remember what I saw and report it to law enforcement.

We have great police here in OKC. They're the ones trained and equipped to deal with these situations. Often times getting involved only makes the situation worse for yourself and harder for police.

If the mass shooter is within shooting distance, by all means defend yourself.

I would never expect someone to intervene in a shooting or robbery. But I would never decry someone who bravely sought to defend others, unless they did so in a careless and dangerous manner. Such as intervening in a simple robbery.

Most robbers simply take the cash and go. Insurance takes care of the rest. If the shooting is already going on, well, that's different.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not intervene in a robbery in progress, I'd rather him take the cash and go.

If a mass shooting would occur, I would be defensive in posture. If he came upon me, I would defend myself and others. I would not pursue the threat -- I would remember what I saw and report it to law enforcement.

We have great police here in OKC. They're the ones trained and equipped to deal with these situations. Often times getting involved only makes the situation worse for yourself and harder for police.

If the mass shooter is within shooting distance, by all means defend yourself.

I would never expect someone to intervene in a shooting or robbery. But I would never decry someone who bravely sought to defend others, unless they did so in a careless and dangerous manner. Such as intervening in a simple robbery.

Most robbers simply take the cash and go. Insurance takes care of the rest. If the shooting is already going on, well, that's different.
Quite so. This is almost exactly where I am.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Most." Do the ones who don't want to leave witnesses wear a special sign around their necks so you can identify them before they decide to start killing people?

Latest posts

Top Bottom