Best 1911 for the $

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I searched and didn't find much, so don't roast me. I've been around guns for a while. Owned Ruger, Glock, Sig, and Kahr handguns, but never a 1911.

I'm looking for a 5 inch full size, probably stainless, rail is not a necessary but a plus. Spend up to $1500 What is the best 1911 I can get for my money.

Do I need the checkered front and back straps? Or do I just need to go shoot some to see what I like.

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the price range you are probably looking at Les Baer or Springfield TRP. If you like the old GI style you can get a Colt 70 repro. Checkering is just a personal preference.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked at the TRP and like it, just want all my options open. Name isn't so important as being reliable and running good.

And it would be nice if I didn't have to spend the max, a grand would be fine if I'm really not gaining much for it. That would give me some more money to spend at Accurate Iron, I got some Sig P6's that need some TLC.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I searched and didn't find much, so don't roast me. I've been around guns for a while. Owned Ruger, Glock, Sig, and Kahr handguns, but never a 1911.

I'm looking for a 5 inch full size, probably stainless, rail is not a necessary but a plus. Spend up to $1500 What is the best 1911 I can get for my money.

Do I need the checkered front and back straps? Or do I just need to go shoot some to see what I like.

$1500 can get you a used Les Baer and it is far and above any production gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom