best ak47 for shtf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To each his own. I feel the AR is for untrained city boys, and in fact that is why the army adopted it. I know it has changed since then but so has the AK. The AK was designed to be rugged, simple and reliable. It fills that role very well.
heh i think you know better than that

AR-15 better for organized western army with plenty of logistics and support.

AK-47 better for conscript or guerilla.

AR-15 better for SHTF in USA because AK without ammo is wooden stick. Granted, it would perform better as stick than AR-15. 5.56/.223 is abundant in every home, armory, gun store, police dept...pretty much anywhere you'd expect ammo to be.

when SHTF you are gonna have to rely on what you have or can scrounge. AK-47s are indeed very long-lasting, but they are mechanical devices and eventually **** needs replaced. since its SHTF you probably want to avoid the highways, so you're gonna be hoofing it. 250 miles in non-SHTF times is a whole different beast than when you're playing Rodney King: OKC edition

Valhallajack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
your ability is what makes the rifle good! take one of my sks over practically any rifle. never failed and taken many deer ,coyote's armi dillers etc.
have to agree on the sks, have in years past unboxed a new chicom version wrapped in plastic heavy with grease smeared inside and out all parts. fun to shoot and accurate rifles. do you have a russian or Chinese or?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

AR-15 better for SHTF in USA because AK without ammo is wooden stick. Granted, it would perform better as stick than AR-15. 5.56/.223 is abundant in every home, armory, gun store, police dept...pretty much anywhere you'd expect ammo to be.

when SHTF you are gonna have to rely on what you have or can scrounge. AK-47s are indeed very long-lasting, but they are mechanical devices and eventually **** needs replaced. since its SHTF you probably want to avoid the highways, so you're gonna be hoofing it. 250 miles in non-SHTF times is a whole different beast than when you're playing Rodney King: OKC edition
love the 7.62x39 but also got my bases covered!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

No I do not know better than that.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
'so you seriously think AK > AR-15? Why?
Back in the 70s we were issued M-16a1. They were the worst POS I ever handled. They were always jamming, always fouling. I watched two buddies get shot trying to clear their rifles. I asked for and got to use a 12ga pump.

Lets put it this way, I will take an AK, Mini 14, M-1 carbine, heck even an STG44 over an AR. Now that is my personal opinion and I do not expect others to agree. It is not like the Glock threads where I like trolling the fanboys, it is just my choice.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 70s we were issued M-16a1. They were the worst POS I ever handled. They were always jamming, always fouling. I watched two buddies get shot trying to clear their rifles. I asked for and got to use a 12ga pump.

Lets put it this way, I will take an AK, Mini 14, M-1 carbine, heck even an STG44 over an AR. Now that is my personal opinion and I do not expect others to agree. It is not like the Glock threads where I like trolling the fanboys, it is just my choice.
'it's just such an unusual choice, that at first glance i assumed it was trolling haha

i'm glad i asked why, because your explanation makes sense even if my experience hasn't been the same.

I heard stories from the Vietnam era with that sort of impression of the M16 platform, but i assumed that was an early vietnam war issue and that they resolved it later on by changing the powder and actually issuing cleaning kits to the troops, with training in their use.

IDK if that is related to your experiences or not, since you specified 70s.

I'm curious, what's your go to rifle for SHTF? Do you prefer an AK over a Mini-14/M1 carbine?

Latest posts

Top Bottom