Best and cheapest place for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is exactly my point(in bold). For $35 you get training from someone who does this for a hobby. Where as at USSA you get training from professional firearms instructors who are either military or law enforcement qualified. So there is a difference in the training recieved at different locations & for different costs. That is the only point I was making.

actually the guys who give the class, are ex military and law enforcment. just FYI.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.sortrainingcenter.com/index.htm It's a training center class is $35 dollars you bring your own gun and your own ammo so it's not that great of a deal unless you have a .22 and 50 rounds laying around.

if you go h&h or other places charging 60$ you still have to bring your own ammo/gun. and they might even have a range fee also. i though it was a great deal, and:woohoo1: they even had it split into 2 nights 4hrs&4hrs. great class learned alot and it was well instructed. gave real life situations that they have seen, or been involved in. just my opinion. for 35$ cant beat it. good luck!

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone know of very cheap classes? Also any body wanna chime in on what holster works best for a small handgun such as a Keltec PF9

Since you're in Moore you might consider Sgt. Everett's. $60 plus the fact that he owns the range, is an attorney and gun enthusiast. He's located down off of Indian Hills Rd and I-35 on the east side.

www.sgteveretts.com

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So would you assume that a class taught by a hobbiests would be taught exactly the same as a class taught by a instructor who is current/ex millitary/LEO?? I have a hard time believing the training would be the same.

By "same" I assume you mean in quality. If so this is where you go wrong. Just because the teacher could be a "hobbyist" doesnt mean that they are not current/ex military/LEO. And to prove my point if the instructor who is teaching at H&H is a current military/LEO wouldnt that make them a "hobbyist" as well, working for H&H with their off time?

Thus your whole rationale crumbles. Anyway even if there was a difference between the two it wouldnt matter a hill of beans as long as proper rules, regs, laws, etc. were covered (and they were or else people probably wouldnt waste their time and money) during the course. All in all the difference would be negligible/nominal/marginal etc.

Essentially you are paying money for the instructor (of course), H&H's profits, H&H's facility, and so you can jump on the forum will your nose turned up in the air to say "I went to H&H yada yada...".

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the instruction you would get at someplace like USSA is top notch and well worth $60. However, to say that $35 for training is sub-par because you're getting less due to the lower cost is laughable. I only paid $15 for my training. It was 9 hours long and the instructor was a former FBI and police trainer who has retired and owns a gun / pawn shop.

The most valuable insight he gave during the class was his experience as an expert in court cases he had testified on and gave various scenarios where using your CCL could get you in trouble and gave various court cases in OK and compared them to the US of how the courts ruled in various cases where a CCL was involved.

He gave us a clear understanding of what was white, black, or gray when it came to using your CCL and how it stands with the law.

He even provided firearms to those who could not bring their own for the shooting portion of the class for free AND supplied a 50 round box of .40 s&W or 9mm ammo for each person with that caliber of firearm for free. He taught the class because he truly enjoyed it.

Usmc-1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose having worked in Law Enforcement for 20 years doesnt get me any breaks when it comes to a CCW? No I didnt retire from it, I chose to run a business instead, I worked for 5 1/2 years as a Police Officer in San Diego,Ca and spent the next 15 years working with the Federal Bureau of prisons inside the United States Penitentiary Maximum Security in Lompoc ,Ca, I trained on on many different weapons ,I was on the Swat Team in San Diego, did SORT in Lompoc, just curious if the sheriffs office gives any lee way , regarding prior law enforcement , I was also a US Marine, The reason I ask is it seems our government feels secure in noting that ex-military and ex-law enforcement are threats to national security (thats 2 strikes against me!), your thoughts...

35 Whelen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through Paul Gordon's full day CCW class at S.O.R. last Saturday (1-8-11), then did my finger printing at the Sheriff's office on Wed. and turned all my paperwork in right after printing.

Paul said he is a retired OHP Lt.

I can't compare his to any other class but I'd say it was well worth the $35.00 and it got me where I needed to go certificate wise.

At S.O.R. you bring your own handgun and fifty rounds of ammo, hearing protection, eye protection and a ballcap.

35 Whelen

Latest posts

Top Bottom