Best Budget Rifle poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Budget Hunting Rifle for deer/hogs

• Mossberg ATR 100

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Remington 770

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Savage Axis/Edge

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Weatherby Vanguard

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • H&R one-shots

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Same for me. The Accutrigger is excellent and the 10/110 platform is proven and surprisingly accurate for a budget rifle. With premium ammo I was able to get 5/8" five shot groups at 100 yards with a birch stocked, beater looking 110 in .270 (with a regular trigger, not the Accutrigger).

^^This would be my vote.................then the weatherby vangaurd, which is a Howa action.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are willing to buy a used gun, the Savage 110 with the Accutrigger is pretty hard to beat.

There's always the older (Not Remlin) Marlin Lever Rifles, which I prefer.

If the price and the quality are right, I have no issue with a used gun. The adjustable trigger system was one of the reasons I was looking into the Mossberg ATR. If I could find a 110 in .270 or .308 for around $400 I wouldn't have a problem.
The old Marlins are pretty nice, my FiL has two 336Cs.

H&R in a super cool caliber like 357, 44, 444, or 45-70.. or perhaps 243 or 7-08 if you're feeling like being particularly efficient. Blow the rest on a decent scope and a box of ammo.

I like the ability to effortlessly switch between .308/.270/.223 for different game, but I'm not so sure about 2/3 the $$$$ for 1/5 the capacity. Will definitely look into H&Rs though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i got a mossberg atr 100 in 30-06 for my son. he's doing 2 inch groups with cheap federal ammo from wally word at 200 yrds. tough to beat!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Academy in OKC the other day, and they had some Rem 700 SPS's for $379 I believe. It would be hard to get what I consider a decent, cheap scope (Nikon Prostaff) and stay under the 500 price, but would be the best choice to me. My coworker bought a 100 ATR while there and he's liking it, his came with the scope and it aint too impressive to us though.

I have owned several of the H&R's myself, and can testify to their accuracy being great. The only problem we ever had with them is the fact that the same handloads we shot in a bolt gun were usually too hot for them.

I've been told by a gun shop owner that is an absolute Savage fan that he would definitely pick the Marlin over the Axis because the triggers in the Axis are so bad compared to the Marlins. Hope this helps

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with those... OK, none at all. Just what I've handled in gunshops and shows.

The Marlin XS7 and Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 seemed to have a lot nicer fit and finish. They also offer a lot more aftermarket support, for stocks, triggers, bases/mounts.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with those... OK, none at all. Just what I've handled in gunshops and shows.

The Marlin XS7 and Weatherby Vanguard / Howa 1500 seemed to have a lot nicer fit and finish. They also offer a lot more aftermarket support, for stocks, triggers, bases/mounts.

We have two of the Marlins and both have been tac drivers. They will shoot less than 1'' at 100 yards all day long. I bought a 25-06 for my Grandson and a 270 for my son.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just go to the local walmart and handle one of the Rem 770 or the Savage Axis. You will immediately be deterred. I have never fired one because I've handled them in the store, very sloppy bolts, poor craftsmanship, everything about them seems like corners were cut producing them. If it came down to one of those two, I'd save my money and wait.
I have to agree what's been said about the Marlins, good budget rifle that isn't built like a budget rifle.
The Mossberg's rated really well with a couple of outdoors publications a couple of years ago, pretty good rifle for the money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom