Best Budget Rifle poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Budget Hunting Rifle for deer/hogs

• Mossberg ATR 100

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Remington 770

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Savage Axis/Edge

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Weatherby Vanguard

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • H&R one-shots

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know someone already mentioned it, and I'll second it. Get a Marlin 336, a decent scope, and the new Hornady ammunition. Your good for 200 to possibly 250 yards for anything worth hunting in Oklahoma.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Marlin XS7 is not on the list - and yet wins the contest ... by far; all the awesome features of Savage for almost half the price.[/QUOTEThe marlin would be my pick. It also has a trigger guard which is seperate from the stock, so that it can be replaced if broken. I know this sounds silly, but when I worked at academy, Two customers told me they had broken the guards on their mossberg, and I knew personally of a savage which it occured on. the exact circumstances I don't recall, except that they were unusual. A lot of things are unusual though, until they happen to you.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually went with a .270 Remington 700. Got it for $375. Just couple jacksons more than any budget rifle and a wood stock!

DSC00911.jpg

View attachment 19994

Thanks everyone for the comments though!!!

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good choice. the wood has nice grain also. new or used?

It is used. Using RemingtonSociety.com, I found it was made in 1997. It was restocked by the seller and the checkering is also very nice. There are a few minor blemishes, but the price was so low I couldn't resist. The trigger breaks clean and even at around 2-4 lbs.
Now I'm just looking for some optics. PM me if you have anything for sale!

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Mossberg ATR 100 in .270 as my deer rifle, I haven't taken it hunting yet, but have done alot of range time with it and I like it so far. I bought it used for $225. Put a free scope on and a $10 sling and it's good to go. I pretty much agree with the other comments about it, cheap and accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom