Best gun cleaning solvents?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like Butch's but Hoppe's elite is really good too and it can be found at Walmart which is convenient when you run out at a critical time.

Here's a question for the board, what was the stuff the military used to give to soldiers to use on their guns back during Vietnam? My dad tells me it was pretty good stuff, looked like thin white grease. They used to call it bull c*m. :shocked:
Is it still available? Are there better alternatives now anyway? Thanks.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I use either a copper cleaner or a lead cleaner for what was shot in the gun and a powder solvent afterwards. I then will lubricate the gun with non-petroleum based oil. Petroleum based lubricant will evaporate and leave a sticky substance in the gun.
Wipe the outside down with a silicone rag.
If there are optics use Zeiss lens cleaner.(great for glasses too)

Mark

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't want to change the thread but the hardest part of cleaning my 686 is the forcing cone...I don't know if I even get in clean..I actually use some dental floss on the upper part and that didn't do much..This is the part where I want the solvent to really do its job. can't really see it inside that good..I am going to try one of those cheap electric toothbrushes with a soft bristle and no flavoring on it..I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a minty fresh slug.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
don't want to change the thread but the hardest part of cleaning my 686 is the forcing cone...I don't know if I even get in clean..I actually use some dental floss on the upper part and that didn't do much..This is the part where I want the solvent to really do its job. can't really see it inside that good..I am going to try one of those cheap electric toothbrushes with a soft bristle and no flavoring on it..I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a minty fresh slug.

If you still like your wife or girlfriend don't get caught using her toothbrush.
Mark
:wink2:

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To ride this dead horse a little longer.....

Just bought my first polymer gun. Anybody have a problem with plastic and Hoppe's or Birchwood Casey's gun blaster?

Latest posts

Top Bottom