Best oil weight for K46 tractor tranmission?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the book says 10w30 is factory fill. However, these trannies not as durable as their larger siblings such as the k66, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a heavy-duty, synthetic oil. However, there are so many weights people seem to run in these I'm not sure what would be the best for heat/durability.

5w50 synthetic - supposedly recommended if you call Tuff Torque directly, their engineers recommend this instead of 10w30, but I won't be using the tractor much in colder weather

15w50 synthetic
15w40 synthetic
20w50 (not sure if they make this in syn?)
or
10w30 synthetic (perhaps Rotella)

Can anyone make a recommendation as to which would provide the most protection? I do not plan to do ground-engaging with this lawn tractor, but I may pull my full-sized 10ft covered trailer short distances on flat ground, or a small tractor cart with mulch, dirt, etc. Some folks wait to service these hydro-trannies when they begin acting up, but I think putting in the BEST possible oil now may help prolong the amount of time until it has any issues. Just not sure what oil weight is best for this application if I am gonna deviate from the factory fill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom