Best rifle dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok fellas, I appreciate the responses, but most of you have failed to answer the main question. The floating bullet seater of the Hornadys is a nice feature.

WHY do you prefer your brand of dies?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
u cant go wrong with the little green boxes!
RCBS has outstanding customer service, if it breaks just call them and they will typically send u a replacement no questiond asked. Price is decent and quality is top notch... they are just an all around good die. I love there collet style bullet pullers.
Lyman are ok and Lee make good paper weights
I have a set of hornady 30-06 dies and the floating bullet holder is a neat but not a deal sealer for me, they just collect dust on my shelf cause i use my green ones instead :)

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
u cant go wrong with the little green boxes!
RCBS has outstanding customer service, if it breaks just call them and they will typically send u a replacement no questiond asked. Price is decent and quality is top notch... they are just an all around good die. I love there collet style bullet pullers.
Lyman are ok and Lee make good paper weights
I have a set of hornady 30-06 dies and the floating bullet holder is a neat but not a deal sealer for me, they just collect dust on my shelf cause i use my green ones instead :)

Thats why!!!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Hornady's because of the floating seater AND that they seat on the ogive rather than the tip (particularly on pistol bullets).

I like the Lee "U" dies because they size the case smaller and farther down, nearly eliminating loaded ammo that will not gage correctly, which may cause malfunctions in semi-autos.

I like the Redding Competition seating dies because they have a floating seater that seats on the ogive, that is also spring loaded to better control the seating process. I also like the micrometer feature, which allows you to set the dies precisely for different bullet weights without guessing and testing.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forester benchrest - the whole case is supported in spring loaded slider. I've been getting 50-60 rounds with sub .003 OOR out of batch of 80 VS 40-50 with RSBC or Lee.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forester benchrest - the whole case is supported in spring loaded slider. I've been getting 50-60 rounds with sub .003 OOR out of batch of 80 VS 40-50 with RSBC or Lee.

Interesting. Know anywhere I can see them around here or a cut away view on the Internet?

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently using Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Dillion, Pacific, Lee. Some of the best groups I have shot have been loaded with the Lee Collet dies. The cases are fireformed to the chamber and your only neck sizing. Downside is if you have more than one rifle in that caliber, the rounds probably won't chamber in the other rifles.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Z06Man,
Sometimes it depends on what you are reloading for as to which dies work best. For instance on the K31 Swiss, Redding makes the best ones. The others tend ot oversize the case.
Donald

Latest posts

Top Bottom