Big Green Egg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am feeling particularly lacking in the outdoor cooking department. I have a propane smoker that gets alot of use and it is pretty easy to keep dialed in, and a generic stainless steel propane grill that I am not particularly fond of. I've been thinking about dropping a chunk of loot on a kamado grill, the big green egg or one of the knock offs. The ceramic ones are all over 1k with the grill and needed accessories. Anyone here have one they are in love with and if so why?

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you wanting to do? It really depends. If doing a lot of BBQ I think there are better options if you want to be managing a fire, I would rather have an offset, you really can't get that kind of flavor with anything else.

If you don't want to manage a fire then check out Yoder, Traeger, and Memphis make the best IMO.

If you are not really looking for something to smoke with then Weber is my go-to.

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you wanting to do? It really depends. If doing a lot of BBQ I think there are better options if you want to be managing a fire, I would rather have an offset, you really can't get that kind of flavor with anything else.

If you don't want to manage a fire then check out Yoder, Traeger, and Memphis make the best IMO.

If you are not really looking for something to smoke with then Weber is my go-to.
Supposedly you can do everything with that one grill, grill, smoke, slow roast. I have a pretty cluttered patio with tables, grill, smoker, pool stuff. I mostly smoke, infrequent grilling. Ive been reading all over the webs about these grills and wanted to know what others think here without the sales pitches. I miss the actual smokey flavor you just don't get with a propane grill.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Supposedly you can do everything with that one grill, grill, smoke, slow roast. I have a pretty cluttered patio with tables, grill, smoker, pool stuff. I mostly smoke, infrequent grilling. Ive been reading all over the webs about these grills and wanted to know what others think here without the sales pitches. I miss the actual smokey flavor you just don't get with a propane grill.

Yeah you definitely can. No sales pitch, I like the convenience and versatility of wood pellet grills. Some models have a "super smoke" mode or you can get a smoke tube that you burn extra pellets in for even more smoke.

The ceramics are good too, just not my thing.

If managing a fire and only need it for BBQ then an offset IMO.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah you definitely can. No sales pitch, I like the convenience and versatility of wood pellet grills. Some models have a "super smoke" mode or you can get a smoke tube that you burn extra pellets in for even more smoke.

The ceramics are good too, just not my thing.

If managing a fire and only need it for BBQ then an offset IMO.
I agree, I replaced my old Treager with a Green Mountain pellet grill and wish I had done it sooner. I considered a Green Egg but the space inside was a negative to me.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang these look sweet! Just checked em out, they even have a bottle opener!
Yep, and it connects to my internet and and app on my phone. I can control the temperature from the phone and see internal meat temps without leaving the couch lol. I also like that it has a pellet dump door on the back so I can easily dump my pecan and load apple or whatever.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought it locally at a store on Reno and I think it was just west of meridian, or maybe it was McArther. I forget the name but they sell outdoor patio furniture, hot tubs and billiard tables. And of course grills. They only had Treager (which is built in China now and are a POS) and the GMG, I think they had Green Egg grills also.
I taled them into assembling it for me at no extra cost. Think I paid $950.

Latest posts

Top Bottom