Billy Joel in Tulsa last night honored veterans onstage. Anyone else there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was a heck of a good show. I was very pleased to see him honor American service members onstage during his performance of "Goodnight Saigon".

It was a very moving moment, he bought on probably a dozen military vets and maybe some current members? I couldn't see all that well, but I did see a number of vets of several generations wearing Tulsa VFW 577 hats.

I was pleased that as soon as the vets came on stage, the entire audience surged to standing and remained standing and applauding all through the performance till the end of the song. I was very proud of Tulsa at that moment, thinking how many other places in America are busily disgracing themselves by refusing to honor American service members and dishonoring our flag.

Anyways, it was a great show, had a great time.

billyjoel.jpg

He played guitar while he brought out his roadie "Chainsaw" to sing AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", did a Garth-ish version of "Shameless" (not my favorite, I'm not a country fan), managed to fit in some classical stuff with a quick verse of "Ode to Joy", some Led Zepplin and one of his backups sang a great Italian song I can't remember the name of, but I have seen Andrea Bocelli do it a couple of times live and it is a great one. I'm going to have to look that one up. Also the guy who was playing all the sax solos (always a necessity in Billy Joel shows) was awesome.

All in all, we had a great time. My favorites were the ones from the 70s - always been a big fan of the 52nd Street and The Stranger albums, since I was a kid. Still some of my favs. We took my mom and step-dad, and my mom was totally immersed. She had a great time and I was glad we were able to take her to see one of her all-time favs - and mine, too! He was a great performer, very appreciative of his bandmembers and self-deprecating at times. It was great.

Not sure how long it'll be before he comes back - last time was with Elton John in 2009, a show I couldn't afford tickets for at the time. Hell, even this show alone was almost $500 for 4 of us with literal "nosebleed seats." I've now seen both of them individually and would love to see them together sometime, but it's gonna cost me, for sure. But anyways, I'd highly recommend this show if anyone has a chance in the future to see him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom