Bitterroot valley ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

milsurp

I have shot about 200 rouds of the BVAC .30 carbine and never had a problem. But I see on the interwebs some guy was really down on it after a carbine he built shelled on him(well the person he sold it to). I bought 900 rounds at Wahnenmachers a couple of years ago and I seem to like it. Does anyone else have any experience with this stuff?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on what I see in that thread, I'd be checking BVAC ammo VERY closely before firing. One thing quality ammo has to start with is quality brass. Some brass manufacturers have poor QC. The OP said the barrel threaded into the receiver "very tight". It's possible this could've lead to excess stress on the receiver when firing. Without having been proof tested or MPI'd, there's no way to know if there was a falw in the barrel or receiver that led to a blown case. I'd be most concerned about the wildly varying case lengths though.

Certain brands of brass (and some brands in sppecific calibers), I just throw in the trash instead of reloading. It's not worth blowing up an expensive gun to save a few cents. :(

M

milsurp

Yeah from what Ive noticed the brass stretches quite a bit and must be trimmed every time its reloaded. Religiously! That thread was from '09 so maybe BVAC has stepped up the QC. But it seems like this guy would have ran at least 20 rounds through the carbine before handing it over to someone. I defintely look at the ammo now!

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've ran their 223 and 5.56 loads with no problems. I tried their 9mm loads through both glock(gen3 26 and gen 4 19) I didn't have any failures but you feel a good biut of difference between these and federal maroon box, they felt underpowered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom