Blaze Orange question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you required to wear Blaze orange (for Deer gun) when you're in a stand/blind? I could have sworn I read something in the regs that said once you're in a blind (which seems logical since it wouldn't be seen) or in a stand, you aren't required to wear it - now I can't seem to find it.

I know on the way to/from the blind/stand we wear vests/hats, but once we climb into our 15ft stand (which has a blind that covers 3/4 of us), we always take our vests off and flip the hats around to camo - is this against the regs or am I just not looking in the right spot now?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not familiar with anything that says its ok to remove orange once in blind. You can rest assured if I was in a blind that concealed orange where other hunters are likely, I will even put some orange on it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not familiar with anything that says its ok to remove orange once in blind. You can rest assured if I was in a blind that concealed orange where other hunters are likely, I will even put some orange on it.

Well, I'm on private land with no other hunters (not that this fact alone makes anything legal), but we're in a 15ft tree-stand and this is the only place we've taken off any orange. Again, I could have sworn I read it, but after scanning my 2010-2011 hunting guide (hard copy) and searching ODWC's website, I can't find anything at all that says its ok to do - so I guess we'll stop doing it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All hunters participating in any antelope, bear, deer or elk season using a firearm (muzzleloader or gun) must conspicuously wear both a head covering and an outer garment above the waistline, both totaling at least 400 square inches of hunter orange. Camouflage hunter orange is legal as long as there is at least 400 square inches of hunter orange.

All other hunters, except those hunting waterfowl, crow or crane, or while hunting furbearing animals at night, must wear either a head covering or upper garment of hunter orange clothing while hunting during any antelope, bear, deer or elk firearms (muzzleloader or gun) season in any open hunting area (zone, county or area.)

I would take that as any time you are "hunting" you have to wear it.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vest stays on. To dang hard to get it off of my coat in the field. hat may or may not come off. I put an orange stocking cap on my camo hat. If I'm to cold the heavy head covering comes out that is orange.

I realized that creek bed I have a stand setup on is a bit of a safety concern. within a hundred yards you can be at a higher elevation than my stand. If you thought you saw a deer you could shoot me by accident.

I want every possible opportunity to make my presence known to other hunters. I have an extra vest that is stuck to the outside of my pack. This way my back still has orange exposed when the pack is on.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an extra vest that is stuck to the outside of my pack. This way my back still has orange exposed when the pack is on.

I do this same thing.

Well, it sounds like I have my answer - appreciate it fellas. Don't want to break the rules - especially out of mis-reading them.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Orange beanie over my camo hat and orange on my jacket, I don't want to be a statistic. Sucks if you're an OU fan like myself but I don't want to be confused for deer. I too hunt private land but you never know who's on the other side.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Orange beanie over my camo hat and orange on my jacket, I don't want to be a statistic. Sucks if you're an OU fan like myself but I don't want to be confused for deer. I too hunt private land but you never know who's on the other side.

+1

It would suck if a poacher got in there and did something stupid...

Latest posts

Top Bottom