Block heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep battery tenders on anything with a battery. Block heaters plugged in on what needs to be used. Everything is/was barn kept.

My diesel trucks if not pulling a load in the winter got/get a piece of lexan over the radiator with a 6-8 inch hole cut out over the clutch fan. Keeps them warm. They need to be warm.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't had a block heater since the 70's while stationed at Ft Leavenworth Ks. These zero temps are the norm there in the winter. The 10.5 compression ratio in the GT 390 Ford didn't like rolling over at 6am and the company commander didn't take well to late arrivals or excuses.
Mine actually fit in the lower radiator hose. Cut in half, insert and add two hose clamps.
Every apartment in the complex we lived in had an outlet at the front door for block heaters.
It was sure nice getting into the vehicle with instant heat.

I should plug mine in on nights like this, but I just don't.

Plugged it in one Nov night up in S Dakota when it was gonna be -13.

Matter of fact I think I ran an extension cord out to it a couple years ago here when it got to -17. Don't recall, but seems like I did.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diesel? My 250 with the 7.3 gasser starts blowing warm at one mile from the driveway which in the country is just a couple minutes.

Yes, diesel.

My little ford fusion company car could go from a cold start to blowing warm air in less than 1.25 miles. That's how far it is to the first stop sign. Always had warm air by then.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last company truck that I had was a ford. It wouldn’t say warm in the winter. Took it back and replaced it with a dodge.
Yeah if my truck doesn’t SAY what it’s temp is when I ask then I trade it. Life’s to short to put up with that stuff.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep battery tenders on anything with a battery. Block heaters plugged in on what needs to be used. Everything is/was barn kept.

My diesel trucks if not pulling a load in the winter got a piece of lexan over the radiator with a 6-8 inch hole cut out over the clutch fan. Keeps them warm. They need to be warm.
Battery tenders are the best thing since popcorn. I keep them on everything if they are going to be sitting for awhile. Letting a standard battery go down to zero charge is the worst thing that can happen to them. They rarely recover.
Those little lawn mower and ATV/ATC battery that don't last more than a year because they sit, can certainly use a tender. I just swapped out a battery that died in the 1985 ATC 250X that was installed 12 years ago according to my records. It's fully restored and only gets out on nice days for a little ride now and then.
When on the road in the RV, tenders go on all vehicles, mowers, tractors, etc. Every vehicle has a tiny draw from the battery for the electronics. Doensn't take long for them to drain a battery if not started for a couple of months.
Harbor Freight models is the one we use.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom