Block heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh, no, I probably spent $1000 every year keeping my 2000 dodge 5.9 Cummins running every year. Glad it's gone. My 1988 Chevy , probably less than $1000 since it was made.,,✌️
My 2015 Chevy gasser has averaged me $3500/year for the past 4 years just repairing what breaks and regular maintenance. That’s not including the $4500/year in depreciation, tires, or the dismal 14mpgs I get in a modern v8 truck with a 6 speed transmission. I have less than 130,000 miles on it too. I’ll never own another Chevy after I sell this POS.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2015 Chevy gasser has averaged me $3500/year for the past 4 years just repairing what breaks and regular maintenance. That’s not including the $4500/year in depreciation, tires, or the dismal 14mpgs I get in a modern v8 truck with a 6 speed transmission. I have less than 130,000 miles on it too. I’ll never own another Chevy after I sell this POS.

My issue with GM goes further back. I had bought a brand new Chevy Silverado in 1980 with 4WD and four-speed transmission with the much vaunted 350 engine. At 17,000 miles the lobes on the camshaft started flattening out. The dealer wouldn't do anything with regards to warranty, not even paying labor if I paid parts. Then, at about 60,000 miles the piece of junk needed a complete overhaul, in spite of regularly scheduled maintenance being performed.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My issue with GM goes further back. I had bought a brand new Chevy Silverado in 1980 with 4WD and four-speed transmission with the much vaunted 350 engine. At 17,000 miles the lobes on the camshaft started flattening out. The dealer wouldn't do anything with regards to warranty, not even paying labor if I paid parts. Then, at about 60,000 miles the piece of junk needed a complete overhaul, in spite of regularly scheduled maintenance being performed.
That’s terrible. I’ve had to rebuild my engine from a short block after the top end trashed itself due to a bad lifter design, replaced the transmission due to faulty torque converter design, and replaced my AC condenser due to a known bad set of welds that Chevy refuses to correct. Oh and my paint is the worst quality I have ever seen. I’m on of the lucky ones though. I’ve seen a guy with the same year truck as mine, who’s primer didn’t adhere properly. One day he closes his drivers door, and most of the paint/primer just fell off his door in one big chunk like you’re peeling a boiled egg.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another reason to use a battery tender to keep your battery fully charged.

1705348803343.png

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another reason to use a battery tender to keep your battery fully charged.

View attachment 445143

Yep, I had to bury my elect gate batteries to keep them from freezing. As the Solar sometimes cannot keep them 100%. Burying them in a plastic battery box like goes in a boat solved the issue.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I’ve done so far was adding anti-gel to my diesel a few days ago.

My grandson’s school bus started gelling on the way home Saturday night after the wrestling tournament in Kingfisher. Fortunately his coach was smart enough to solve it and get them all home.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It takes forever for my F-250 to get warm enough to start blowing warm heat, like 15 minutes or so on the highway.

I haven't had a block heater since the 70's while stationed at Ft Leavenworth Ks. These zero temps are the norm there in the winter. The 10.5 compression ratio in the GT 390 Ford didn't like rolling over at 6am and the company commander didn't take well to late arrivals or excuses.
Mine actually fit in the lower radiator hose. Cut in half, insert and add two hose clamps.
Every apartment in the complex we lived in had an outlet at the front door for block heaters.
It was sure nice getting into the vehicle with instant heat.
My F150 with a Triton gasser holds just over 5 gallons of coolant. It takes a good while to heat up too. With 7 quarts of synthetic oil it has no issue turning over and I'm running 10W40 at the moment instead of that watery 5W20 they tell everybody to run. I have a whole lotta time to scrape ice before it's warm!

Ford at least ain't building 'em like they used to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom