Block heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make lower radiator hose clamp on 110v heaters also.
That's what I used back in the day. Thinking back, I think they recommended removing the thermostat during winter so the warm water could circulate freely.
I wouldn't have a clue where a thermostat is located on the current engines. Some of the water pump replacements have to be done by pulling the engine now. They are internal.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I used back in the day. Thinking back, I think they recommended removing the thermostat during winter so the warm water could circulate freely.
But wouldn’t that keep your engine cooler and make it take longer to warm up? Idk, I’ve seen threads where guys say to drill a 1/16” hole in the flat part of a t-state to allow more flow if your vehicle is running hotter than you’d like. (And yes I am well aware of the irony of having to remove your t-stat in order to drill said hole when you could just pay the $15 and drop in a lower temp one with less effort)
I wouldn't have a clue where a thermostat is located on the current engines. Some of the water pump replacements have to be done by pulling the engine now. They are internal.
I think engineers are stupider these days than they used to be. Except for dodges cuz they are clearly far superior and well engineered still

1705375705535.gif

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, sort of on this topic.

One of our Service Managers told me about this last week. Finally got the app on my phone and super excited about it.

I have a company truck; 2022 F250 with 6.2l gasser. They tuypically get us the XLT models. But the last several years with supply chain issues they got what they could. THey replace our trucks every 5 years or 150K miles and will typically get the truck ordered at about 125K miles. THe truck I got new in Feb 2023, when I did a VIN lookup it showed it was actually built as an XL model and then upfitted with what the company requires. However, it still lacks features like power driver's seat, accessory switchs, remote start and some other nice features to have. Not having electric start, IMO, sucks.

Then my Service Manager told me about the Ford Pass app. put it on your phone like any other app, set up an account and put your intel in along with the trucks VIN and some other basic info. BOOM! This app give you remote start anywhere in the world, lock/unlock feature, make horn and lights activate for 5-10 seconds, oil life remaining, tire pressure monitoring and you can even set up a scheduled auto remote start at a predetermined time every day. It's a super cool feature for any newer (not sure how many years back it will work) Ford vehicles.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But wouldn’t that keep your engine cooler and make it take longer to warm up? Idk, I’ve seen threads where guys say to drill a 1/16” hole in the flat part of a t-state to allow more flow if your vehicle is running hotter than you’d like. (And yes I am well aware of the irony of having to remove your t-stat in order to drill said hole when you could just pay the $15 and drop in a lower temp one with less effort)

I think engineers are stupider these days than they used to be. Except for dodges cuz they are clearly far superior and well engineered still

View attachment 445235
I'm going back to the mid 70's on recollection but your correct. Block heaters were new for me at the time. If I remember right, got mine from JC Whitney. The instructions said to remove the thermostat so the heat could circulate. The heater worked as soon as one got into the vehicle, and the engine did run cooler. No need to warm up the engine.
But, how many of us run our heaters at max heat? Nothing digital at that time. It was just a cable that opened and closed a butterfly valve in front of the heater core.
Summertime, the thermostat went back in. Only made two winters up there, before coming back home to Ponca.

Latest posts

Top Bottom