Blue River WMA Hunting & Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did a search and didn't come up with much about this little slice of Oklahoma heaven. I'm fairly new to the Blue River even though its practically in my back yard. I've only fished the place and have done really good with black bass there. When November gets here it'll be my first time trout fishing it. I'm very much interested in the hunting opportunities there. Has anyone ever hunted the place and if so what was your overall experience? For those who have never been there I'll leave you with these pictures from Sunday's fishing trip.....

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_01283773266948000000424262.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_blueriver.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_01283772996650000000424262.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_01283772869750000000424262.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_01283740485414000000424262.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics! It looks more like smallmouth vs largemouth bass habitat.

I'd love to fly fish it.

Never fished it, but did a hog hunt on it several years ago with a guy that had a lease on it. Free ranging hogs on feeders, bow only.
Managed to get one, but there were sure a lot of them down there.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister and her family camped there this weekend. I have never hunted but my brother has killed turkey. I believe it is shot gun only. Trout fishing is good.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great pics! It looks more like smallmouth vs largemouth bass habitat.

I'd love to fly fish it.

Never fished it, but did a hog hunt on it several years ago with a guy that had a lease on it. Free ranging hogs on feeders, bow only.
Managed to get one, but there were sure a lot of them down there.
Many thanks! Those were actually taken with my cell phone. Smallmouth are supposed to be abundant there but I've yet to catch one....yet. I was wondering about the hogs up that way. Here in Bryan county we're starting to be overran with the things. I'm doing my best to keep the numbers down. :)
My sister and her family camped there this weekend. I have never hunted but my brother has killed turkey. I believe it is shot gun only. Trout fishing is good.
Yeah the place was packed to the gills with campers this weekend. We fished some in the main area then decided to drive to the North end off State Highway 7. Its walk-in access only there and few people go up that way. Sure looks like it'd be some really good hunting up that way. Watched the lines for dove on the way up and didn't see a thing.

Almost didn't make it up there this weekend though. Heres how the day started out for me.....

Got up at 5 A.M. on the way to pick up my buddy in Caddo (he comes from Atoka) I had a doe run out in front of me and stop, right by the college inside of town. After a few choice words, some brakes and some swerving I was back on my way. Hit the outide of Milburn and the low tire indicator in my Jeep comes on. Stop at the store and get out and I can hear it spweing. So after changing the flat I finally made it there. Despite all the heck, that place sure makes it worthwhile.

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never hunted there, but I can tell you when they start stocking the river with trout you will get addicted to trout fishing. That whole place is very scenic and even when you're not catching fish the water over the falls will help you relax and unwind. Try to go during the week when there isn't alot of people and you'll feel like you're in paradise.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never hunted there, but I can tell you when they start stocking the river with trout you will get addicted to trout fishing. That whole place is very scenic and even when you're not catching fish the water over the falls will help you relax and unwind. Try to go during the week when there isn't alot of people and you'll feel like you're in paradise.

Too true. Its very relaxing just being there. During the week is when I'm going to go. Thats the same advice one of the rangers gave me a couple weeks ago. We have quite a few places that are out of the way down here that we go fishing at and gets almost zero fishing pressure. We always do really good at those places, but for the scenery Blue River is my new favorite place.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That place looks beautiful. Anyone keen to giving this Arkansas boy some directions?

3 miles east of Tishomingo on Hwy 78 & 6 miles North on Bullard Chapell Road. Basically its between Milburn and Tishomingo in Johnston County. Its in Southern Oklahoma. A couple of those pictures are from the main South end. The others were taken at the Northern end of State Hwy 7. Pretty sure mapquest could plot you a course.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 miles east of Tishomingo on Hwy 78 & 6 miles North on Bullard Chapell Road. Basically its between Milburn and Tishomingo in Johnston County. Its in Southern Oklahoma. A couple of those pictures are from the main South end. The others were taken at the Northern end of State Hwy 7. Pretty sure mapquest could plot you a course.

Thanks man, I wouldn't mind planning a trip there. It looks incredible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom