Bob Costas is preaching!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an article from Mike Lupica, another sports reporter speaking out against Belcher's evil gun.

After the predictable, shocked rhetoric of death about Jovan Belcher of West Babylon High and the Kansas City Chiefs, you still arrived back at the only place that mattered in the last hour of his life: the gun.
You plowed through all the rest of it in the aftermath of what happened Saturday morning outside Arrowhead Stadium, went through the résumé of how many positions Belcher played for Coach Al Ritacco at West Babylon, how he played linebacker at the University of Maine before he became a defensive lineman, and how he was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Chiefs and emerged as a star.
All that was relevant in the end, the only relevant job description, was this:
Jovan Belcher, shooter.
Shooter of the mother of his 3-month-old daughter with his own mother in the house, then himself.
Maybe we will never find out what brought him to this moment, rage or jealousy or the need to obsessively control Kasandra Michelle Perkins, his girlfriend. Maybe it will turn out to be a brain injury nobody knew about, or something else that caused this madness.
But we do know this: Murdering this young woman, 22, and then killing himself in front of his coach and his general manager was made easy by a gun, because a gun always makes it easier.
I called the Kansas City Police Department Sunday morning and talked to a homicide detective named Williams, asked him how you go about getting a gun in Kansas City, Mo.
“As long as you’re over 21 and have the cash and aren’t a felon, you can buy a gun legally,” he said. “And if you are a felon, you go buy one on the street. It’s easier on the street. No background check.”
He said that once you do own a gun in Missouri, you are allowed to carry it around in your car without a concealed-carry permit.
I asked if he knew where Jovan Belcher bought the gun he used on Kasandra Perkins before he used it on himself.
“All I can tell you,” he said, “is that he purchased it since he has been in Kansas City.” Paused and said, “In the metropolitan area.”
Detective Williams of the KCPD was asked then what kind of gun Belcher used. He said he wasn’t yet prepared to give out that information. But when I asked him again if the gun was legal, he said, “They were lawfully purchased. That means they weren’t bought on the street.”
I asked, “He had more than one gun?”
Williams paused again and said, “We are looking into that.”
It doesn’t matter, to either Kasandra Perkins or Belcher, if he had a small gun collection. It only took one. The Violence Policy Center estimates there were nearly 1,500 murder-suicides in this country in 2011, and that 90% of them involved some kind of gun.
They happen in New York City - Canarsie Friday morning, husband and wife, each with a bullet in the head - and now they happen at the training facility of the Chiefs, on the same property as Arrowhead Stadium. This time the story ends with an NFL player firing the last bullet into his own head.
“My guess,” Williams said, “is that (Belcher) did not have a concealed-carry permit.”
So Belcher either went to the car and brought the gun into the house he was renting for Kasandra Perkins and their infant daughter. Or the gun was already inside the house when he decided to use it. The house is on the 5400 block of Crysler Ave., one reporter on the scene mentioning surveillance cameras attached to the house.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...crimes-easier-article-1.1212024#ixzz2DxFpqAlJ

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as a tragedy it was in Kansas City that a Chiefs player took not only his own life but that of his girlfriend and also leaving behind a 3 mo baby, can you please explain to me why it's the fault of the gun? At half time the commentator agreed with sports writer from KC stating that if he didn't have a hand gun then they both would be alive. Lets not discuss what imbalance the young man had or pressures that lead up to him deciding to take his and the life's of others. Lets not fix the problem of mental health lets just get rid of all our guns because he couldn't have taken his life any other way! We need to stay diligent as not to allow our second amendment rights vanish and also to focus on the real problems, which I might say is not firearms.

Last edited:

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't even like watching football very much and I especially don't like it when he comes on Sunday night football at halftime spouting off political BS about how we shouldn't have any handguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom