Bobby has left the house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the belly isn't damaged there will be no mark off due to the shot damage. The size of the white underside and the clarity of the spots is the determining factor in the price of the fur. Just guessing, but by the size of the cat to the rifle, I would bet he would go about 26lbs. Which is a pretty good sized cat. They always look bigger than they weigh.

FYI, you can sell it at our OFBA auction at the fairgrounds in Chandler on Feb. 5th. If you show up, look me up. I will be the fat bald guy at the auction table, behind the computer.

Awesome, I said 26# when he posted the game cam pic.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what to do with it yet. Its in the freezer, guts hanging out and all, in a trash bag.
I really don't know if I want to sell it or just take the skull. I have a beaver, deer, and possum skulls, along with a couple of european mount deer.
Its not worth a trip to the fur auction for one cat. So I don't know.
If somebody is going to the fur auction, I'd probably give it to them.
Didn't get to set out my coon sets this weekend, but next weekend, I have 5 days off, so will get them out for sure.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice shooting Dennis. I made 3 stands yesterday at good spots but couldn't call a cat or a coyote. I thought it would be good with the overcast and low winds but just could not get any takers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice kitty! too bad about the 06 carnage though, it's been awhile since I have messed with cats but don't you have to tag them? or is that still going? Later,

Kirk

Your correct, they do have to be tagged. I don't remember all the rules, but in the past I'll get one of the local GW's to tag it for me, or make a trip to the ODW office at Kaw lake.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the prices fell thru the floor years ago I've just not shot any cats unless they are eating farm critters, I'm starting to get back into calling and would really like to have a skull so might just have to drop the hammer on the next one that shows up at the call.

This might tell you how long it's been since I shot one, the price on the last green pelt I sold was $110 and I didn't have gray hair LMAO! Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the prices fell thru the floor years ago I've just not shot any cats unless they are eating farm critters, I'm starting to get back into calling and would really like to have a skull so might just have to drop the hammer on the next one that shows up at the call.

This might tell you how long it's been since I shot one, the price on the last green pelt I sold was $110 and I didn't have gray hair LMAO! Later,

Kirk

the last ones I sold was three years ago and got $100 for three and $80 for a really young one.

Just got the cat wadded up and put in the freezer. I'll see if I can get any more. If not, I'm gonna have to impose on Imhuntin to show me how to skin one properly and maybe make an attempt to tan it myself, and keep the skull.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I can ever get everyone together and get my house closed on I might start doing a little skinning and try my hand at tanning, a good friend of mine has been tanning hides and after a few he's getting pretty good at it! it's been so long since I skinned anything I'm afraid I'd have the sew a bunch :blush: last time I skinned anything was back in 87. I saved my money from hides from 84 thru 86 and bought my first truck and rebuilt most of it with fur money.

Heck if prices are that good on cats I might have to pop a few when it gets a little colder and the fur sets, any ideas on where to find current fur prices? Later,

Kirk

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted with a fur buyer from Arapahoe last week, Charlie McAmus, and asked him about bobcat prices but couldn't get a good answer from him. I guess it is still too early to tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom