Boomsticks The Best Ccw Handgun Period!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomstick

Marksman
Reaction score
Lets Be Serious. No Bias. No Preference. No This One Fits Me Or This One Points Better Or This One Looks Good Or Blah Blah. Self Defense Situations Are About Number 1: Carry-ability. Having A Gun You Will Carry Everyday Because If You Dont Like To Carry It And Its Hard To Carry, You Wont! 2: Function. Carrying A Gun That Will Do Its Job Flawlessly, Every Time, Period. 3: Durability. A Gun That Will Handle The Stress Of Everyday Carry. Rain, Sweat, Bumping, Dropping, Banging, Loading, Unloading, For Years And Years. We Can Talk About Caliber Later, Lets Just Talk About The Brand, Model, Finish, Ect..

boomstick

Marksman
Reaction score
:gun2:My Vote For Revolver Is Any Of The Smith And Wesson Airlight Or Air Weight Series. Or The Ruger Sp101. But If I Had To Pick Only One It Would Be The S&w 340pd
My Vote For Semiauto Is Any Glock Subcompact Or A Kahr. But If I Can Only Pick One It Would Be A Glock 33.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SW 640ND .38spl. loaded with 158grSWCHP+P.
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN0302.jpg

[Broken External Image]
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_640.jpg

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:gun2:My Vote For Revolver Is Any Of The Smith And Wesson Airlight Or Air Weight Series. Or The Ruger Sp101. But If I Had To Pick Only One It Would Be The S&w 340pd
My Vote For Semiauto Is Any Glock Subcompact Or A Kahr. But If I Can Only Pick One It Would Be A Glock 33.

+1 I would only add that I would want a revolver w/out a lock and no polymer Kahr's.

CBnL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some might say the little snub nose revolvers aren't good at a distance but I saw a trick shooter (can't remember his name) hit a balloon at 100 yards with one once on a show on the history channel.

The air light titanium you can put in a front pocket of a pair of slacks and (on me) it can't be seen.

The full stainless version (as shown in this thread) is far more comfortable to shoot than any of the ~lite~ versions.

To add something to the mix here...
Walther P99cAS
Advantages I see are that it holds 10 rounds in the magazine and with the trigger guard extending more forward than on most pistols, it has it riding higher in a holster resulting in less effort to ~draw~. (quicker to target)
It is a pin fire gun (double action) and has a decocker.
Other then the fact that it is an automatic, it is real close to one of the little snub nose S&W's. Compact, light, not much of anything to snag on any clothing (etc...) and you just draw and pull the trigger.
Well, one difference... the revolvers can be in a purse/pack and one can get off all 5 rounds without pulling it out... with a semi-auto... odds are it will jam after a single round if in a close environment where it can't cycle cleanly.
Also consider... someone on top of you... you pull the gun... the bad guy just grabs the cylinder of the revolver... you won't be able to pull the trigger and fire but with the compact auto, you'll at least get off one round.
So there are good points and bad points to all.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very interested in this topic. I don't carry yet - waiting for my CCW. I own a full size M&P 9mm. I know several people who carry these full time. I can see the end of the grip print on every one of them most of the time. They claim it is comfy to carry. They say they feel better having 18 rounds available to them.

My question is - is that overkill? Its a great pistol.. I love shooting it. I'm not sure I'll love carrying it. Its thick. A medium size 1911 that holds 10 would clearly be more comfortable due to it being so much thinner. What do you lose with 8 fewer shots?

B

P97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to carry. The malarkey about a 1911 being too big to carry is because they don't want to carry one. I have Carried a Ruger P90DC since I got my Permit years ago. I carry every day and everywhere its legal. I have a 642 Smith and have never carried it. Just get a gun you like and have your mind made up that you are going to carry it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to carry. The malarkey about a 1911 being too big to carry is because they don't want to carry one. I have Carried a Ruger P90DC since I got my Permit years ago. I carry every day and everywhere its legal. I have a 642 Smith and have never carried it. Just get a gun you like and have your mind made up that you are going to carry it.

Hey P97, I know you from the BlueForum, and the Ruger.net. Yes I do agree with that. The little J-frame is my always gun, and I usually do carry bigger artillery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom