Bought me a new used truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know, @Cowcatcher , I was cogitating on this truck, whilst I was in the shower washing my Adonis-like body.

I would counsel against shortening that truck very much. You get the wheel base too short, that thing is gonna porpoise on you. The ride quality goes straight down the toilet.

Maybe chop the excess frame off the back, but leave the wheelbase as is.

Also, before you convert to single axle, check the diff units. Many times, if one unit is a locker, it will be the front drive unit (FDU). If that is the case here, bear in mind you'll have to make allowance for the second yoke sticking out the back.

But, you probably already thought of all this.....

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, @Cowcatcher , I was cogitating on this truck, whilst I was in the shower washing my Adonis-like body.

I would counsel against shortening that truck very much. You get the wheel base too short, that thing is gonna porpoise on you. The ride quality goes straight down the toilet.

Maybe chop the excess frame off the back, but leave the wheelbase as is.

Also, before you convert to single axle, check the diff units. Many times, if one unit is a locker, it will be the front drive unit (FDU). If that is the case here, bear in mind you'll have to make allowance for the second yoke sticking out the back.

But, you probably already thought of all this.....
I do appreciate your input. I’m planning to chop that 3’ off the back, throw some fenders on it and run it for a while and think about it. IF I decide to go single axle, I will be selling both of the rears and buying a single air ride. The current tandems are HENDRICKSON walking beams and can’t be run as a single due to the way they “depend” on eachother. I’ve been told that the tandems under it will bring twice the money it would cost me to buy a single. Makes sense I reckon. IF I go single axle, the single would go where the current front rear is. Yes it has diff lock and an inter-axle switch but I don’t remember which has the locker. Currently back of cab to tail of frame is 16’. Back of Cab to center of tandems is 8’6”. Back of Cab to center of rear rear axle is 10’9”.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you plan to drive that thing with the bare frame (no weight) over top of that walking beam suspension, you better make certain your lap belt is snugged down.

And grab ahold of the steering wheel tight.

The ride will smooth out with about 20 thousand pounds on it.

Just out of curiosity, when you get a chance, measure the front axle to FDU center. I want to compare it to mine.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you plan to drive that thing with the bare frame (no weight) over top of that walking beam suspension, you better make certain your lap belt is snugged down.

And grab ahold of the steering wheel tight.

The ride will smooth out with about 20 thousand pounds on it.

Just out of curiosity, when you get a chance, measure the front axle to FDU center. I want to compare it to mine.

I’ve driven it empty about 100 miles over some bad roads so far and actually thought it rode better than most of our 1 ton pickups. The air ride cab and air seats cushion the blows lol. Ok you are throwing smart people terminology at me. What is “FDU”?

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve driven it empty about 100 miles over some bad roads so far and actually thought it rode better than most of our 1 ton pickups. The air ride cab and air seats cushion the blows lol. Ok you are throwing smart people terminology at me. What is “FDU”?
Oh heck, air ride cab and seat is cheating ! Last one I drove with a walking beam was a solid mount cab. Like a dang rodeo on bad roads. Just a hard ride on good roads.

FDU - Front Drive Unit. Front drive axle of the tandems
RDU - Rear drive unit. Rear rear axle if a twin screw.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh heck, air ride cab and seat is cheating ! Last one I drove with a walking beam was a solid mount cab. Like a dang rodeo on bad roads. Just a hard ride on good roads.

FDU - Front Drive Unit. Front drive axle of the tandems
RDU - Rear drive unit. Rear rear axle if a twin screw.
187”

Latest posts

Top Bottom