Bozo the bounty hunter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
basically when you sign a contract with a bondsman he owns you,he can use any means to apprehend you including entering without a warrant,but you better make damn sure the person you're after is in the house or you are just another home invader.
people on bond and thier cosigners sign that their house can be search by the bondsman or his agents any time. any where else they may be you better know 100 percent the person is in there

So how does one become an "agent" of a bondsman to ensure they are within the law when tracking, breaking and entering to apprehend a fugitive?

If someone is not an "agent" are they breaking the law when attempting to exercise powers of bondsmen to apprehend?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how does one become an "agent" of a bondsman to ensure they are within the law when tracking, breaking and entering to apprehend a fugitive?

I think agents are not necessarily under the employ or auspices of a bondsman. They are just working to secure a person who has been bailed out. The bondsman may have asked for help, but sometimes these agents will try to apprehend whomever in order to get a cut of the the bond.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
an agent of the bondsman is anyone the bondsman authorize's to act on his behalf,i think there needs to be licensing. some of the bondsman i know use PI's because they are bonded and insured.but,most of the PI's i know wont do bounty hunter work

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much... These two morons are lucky they didn't get blasted into oblivion. What's sad, however, is that if a gunfight ensued the homeowner is still at tremendous risk. It would reinforce to the bounty hunters that they had the right address, and would probably return fire, assuming they lived that long. After it's said and done, then the homeowner now has a hell of a mess and a lot of questions to answer, presumably with accompanying lawyer fees. I don't really understand the legal aspects of bounty hunting, but from what I can gather, the regulation of their actions seem to leave a lot to be desired.

Wasn't there a case in Arizona where some bounty hunters shot and killed an innocent homeowner? I seem to remember that...

Probably not, unless there was something else involved besiders a couple dudes kicking in thier front door.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/OCISWeb/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=69782

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two other things are scary about that.

2) The dumbasses only got tickets for kicking down her door.

You can be 100% certain that the sergeant who arrived wasn't happy about it either......

The problem is that Oklahoma law requires "intent to commit a crime" after the entry in order to charge a suspect with 1st or 2nd Degree Burglary.

The bounty hunters were wrong and the homeowner certainly would have been within her rights to use deadly force, but without intent to commit a crime once inside, it is indeed a misdemeanor B&E which is dealt with via citation.

I don't like it and felt that 1st Degree Burglary would be more appropriate but until the citizens of Oklahoma elect me to the legislature, intent to commit a crime once inside will be required to meet the standard for burglary.

You can also be 100% certain that the same sergeant told the victim that she needs to have her gun where she can access it and to acquire the means to protect herself before calling 911.

Michael Brown

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You can be 100% certain that the sergeant who arrived wasn't happy about it either......

The problem is that Oklahoma law requires "intent to commit a crime" after the entry in order to charge a suspect with 1st or 2nd Degree Burglary.

The bounty hunters were wrong and the homeowner certainly would have been within her rights to use deadly force, but without intent to commit a crime once inside, it is indeed a misdemeanor B&E which is dealt with via citation.

I don't like it and felt that 1st Degree Burglary would be more appropriate but until the citizens of Oklahoma elect me to the legislature, intent to commit a crime once inside will be required to meet the standard for burglary.

You can also be 100% certain that the same sergeant told the victim that she needs to have her gun where she can access it and to acquire the means to protect herself before calling 911.

Michael Brown

Like other LE officers on OSA, it is encouraging to hear such opinions from LEOs. Thanks MB!

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not, unless there was something else involved besiders a couple dudes kicking in thier front door.

I dunno. The one person I know who was involved in a defensive shooting (which killed the intruder) spent a very miserable time at the police station until his lawyer showed up. Law or not, you'd better get a lawyer if you get into a self-defense situation. As far as the mess is concerned, I once had the unpleasant experience of cleaning up a house where a triple homicide had occurred and I can definitely say it's a horrible job.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope that dispatcher receives some additional training ...... That was just 'wrong' ///////

The dispatcher did exactly as she was trained to do.

The call takers are the lowest and newest dispatchers and are generally $9/hour employees, so they have to give them some non-negotiable direction regarding what to tell a caller about firearms.

The issue is that there has to be balance between the homeowner's safety from intruders and the risk of getting shot by responding officers.

To ask the $9/hour employee to be able to distinguish between the two is more than we can expect.

It's a non-solveable problem until we as a society decide to value the occupations that deal with safety and education.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom