Braided Fishing Line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, learned something about fishing line today, I still don't fully understand it, but I sorta have an idea what's going on.

Bought a few spools of cheap braided line on Amazon. Bravefisherman is the brand. A buddy had a bow draw weight tester at work today, so thought it would be a perfect time to test it. In a test at home I could not get the 60 pound line to pick up 50 pounds of weight. This worried me, since I had bought a 1000 yard spool.

Well, using the bow scale, all the braid I tested (went home and grabbed some other I had after the first stuff tested badly) broke at about half of the listed break strength. The only exception was some 65 pound Spiderwire, it made it to about 40 pounds. Well....I was mad. Most of the monofiliament broke within 10% of its specified amount....

So there I was...ready to send the 1000 yard roll back, leave nasty reviews etc etc... then I did some research. It got complicated, tensile strength vs break force etc etc. Turns out, by attaching to basically two fixed points and trying to pick up weight or pull against a spring it's normal for the line to break at about 50%. This was not breaking at the knot, but in the middle or at least several inches from a knot.

Well, the main website I found that explains this says it's almost impossible to test this for yourself.... have to use special rollers, line tensioners, no knots etc etc. I had an idea. Got some really good leather gloves and cut about 8 feet of three different lines. The Bravefisherman 40 pound line that broke at 20-23 every time earlier, the 60 pound braid that broke at 30-33 and the 25 pound monofilament that broke at 22 on the scale. Tried the mono first, wrapped it over my gloved hands, over and over so I could pull on it, it broke fairly easy, at what felt like 20-25 pounds, as expected. So, I expected the 40 pound braid to do the same. I could not break the 40 pound line. Tried the 60 just for sake of argument, same deal.

Not sure what the moral of the story is, but it's interesting. Look at the reviews of any of the braids on Amazon and you will find people who tried to lift weight with them and they broke way too early. Even youtube videos of it. But it's a faulty test....and no, I still don't understand why lol.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Braided fishing lines are pretty awesome for fishing anyway this time of year.
Haven't used them in the firearms application you're describing.
They have no "stretch" to them, so if a fish even touches the bait and you have a quality rod thats sensitive as heck, you see the fish mouth it and set the hook.
Monofilament has a stretch to it, so you won't see the fish unless it screws up and swallows it while deep water structure fishing.
I use Power Pro 10-2 for crappie. 10 lb strength and 2lb diameter if it was mono.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use braid about 90% of the time. Many moons ago I was using Power Pro, winning tournaments with it, and they decided to sponsor me. I don't fish like that anymore, but still use Power Pro...it's good stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom