Brake checked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a dash cam and I like it.
The SD card is supposed to over-writes the oldest stuff when it gets full - of course, unless the files are locked.

For you dash-cam guys - a word of caution:
Like yours - my dash cam will automatically protect some files - due to the G-sensor thinking an event occurred (false event).
One day I had to check my SD card for a clip and found my entire SD card (64gigs) was 100% full with protected files (false events). There was NO free room for recording anything. The last clip recorded was weeks old. NO WARNINGS - NO ERROR MESSAGES - NO SIGNS.
Luckily I didn't need the clip I was searching for.

Pull your dash cam SD card and check the memory.
How much memory is 'Locked'? How much memory is 'free space'?
You might be surprised or shocked. FYI, check it.

Ever since then - I set my dash cam settings for:
1) Use the shortest video clips setting available - i.e. use 1 minute clips, not 3 minute clips (If a false event occurs, it's a smaller file size)
and 2) I manually format the SD card every time I fill the gas tank. (or pick any other regular time frame)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive a Chevrolet.....Keep your slow azz outta the fast lane and there won't be no tailgating.

Chevy Speed Limit.jpeg

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you look at dash cam videos out of Russia, be ware, I think every car in Russia dash cam have car. :hey3:

Work doesn’t require them in our company vehicles, but I’ve thought having one might be nice though I’ve never had an incident that requires one. Yet.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a particular dash cam any of you guys have experience with and would recommend?
Mine is a Viofo A119. It's around $100. Awesome video quality. I wish I could post one but I don't have a URL with a video on it. It just writes over continuously unless you save an event. It's quite discreet as well (see pic). I have two others. One more expensive and a cheapo. They are both larger and more of a pain. This one has been forgettable that it's even there.

upload_2021-2-25_13-5-31.png

Still pic of a soon to be dead owl it took at night...

upload_2021-2-25_13-9-59.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom