Brake job disaster - advice please...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those bolts do not torque too tight, probably 25 ft/lbs. There are torque specs for every fastener on your vehicle but most of the time these just get "tight" and mild loctite 242 (blue) can be used but its not normally needed. Sometimes you need a wrench to hold the caliper slide pin and sometimes you dont. If you knew the dimensions of the caliper pin bolt you might be able to get them from a hardware store, If you needed to go that route you could remove one from the other side.

Keep in mind, that it might have damaged wheel from the caliper lifting up into it, It may have also damaged the pads, shims and/or anti-rattle clips. If the wheel is damaged even though its cosmetic I might want them to replace it, just in case it removed a coating, paint or chrome so it doesnt rust, corrode or peel.

B

blacklabelmongo

Those bolts do not torque too tight, probably 25 ft/lbs. There are torque specs for every fastener on your vehicle but most of the time these just get "tight" and mild loctite 242 (blue) can be used but its not normally needed. Sometimes you need a wrench to hold the caliper slide pin and sometimes you dont. If you knew the dimensions of the caliper pin bolt you might be able to get them from a hardware store, If you needed to go that route you could remove one from the other side.

Keep in mind, that it might have damaged wheel from the caliper lifting up into it, It may have also damaged the pads, shims and/or anti-rattle clips. If the wheel is damaged even though its cosmetic I might want them to replace it, just in case it removed a coating, paint or chrome so it doesnt rust, corrode or peel.

^ This... Plus take into consideration on getting the rotor checked (possibly a light turn on it for 10-15 bucks) as well since the caliper was floating around and letting both pads move around unevenly...

Don't mean to jack your thread here but the girlfriend and I just had a bad experience on getting tires this weekend and would like to share it..

My girlfriend just took her car in for new tires at Hibdon (yes I am airing them out for this) Saturday and told her it would be 2 hours. About 2 hours later she calls and the guy says yeah its almost finished just got the front end alignment done. She went to pick up her car 45 minutes later and her car had no wheels on it. The manager came out saying their inventory on their computer was wrong and they need to go get the tires from the other store. Why has this not been done within the 3 hours?
So at this point the girlfriend was so furious because she was lied to about the alignment and it almost being done...(how can you do an alignment on my car without any tires on the car?), 5 minutes later she was lied to again saying the tires just showed up. After this whole bs her air pressure light would not go off and they told her to just drive it and it would reset itself..Nope..
The next day I checked the air and factory calls for 32 psi front and rear and 3 of them had 40 lbs of air and the back left had 11 lbs of air meaning either someone is stupid, or there is a leak.. The moral of this story is when it comes to a vehicle and our safety (especially to those of us commuting with our children) that double checking another person's work might be a good idea these days because technical jobs have less proud enthusiast and more wacked out people just trying to get a paycheck and take no pride in their work or other people's safety.

Hope you get the scion figured out and glad nobody got hurt from it.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I talked to the manager this morning and he was apologetic, said he is very surprised because it was one of his better technicians, and also said that they looked for the bolts around their shop and couldn't find any. He did agree to credit me for the full job after I demanded it. He offered to have it towed, but I declined because I have no idea how long it would take them or if they would fix it using the right parts. I told him he could come by take a look at it. Once I fix it I may let them inspect it or I will take it to Scion to be inspected.

The good news is that after looking at it more, it doesn't appear that the caliper came off the rotor or did any damage that I can see. It is very loose and can be moved all around, but the brake line looks fine, the pads look fine, the rotor looks fine, and the inside of the tire (just a steel tire) looks fine.

I suppose what could have happened is that the tech put the bolts in and just forgot to tighten them. They probably vibrated out somewhere along the way.

No one in town carries the bolts, but I've got one dealership getting them today from OKC so with any luck I'll be back in business after acquiring them this afternoon...

Thanks,

Alan

arshooterone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with 4play, the caliper could have rubbed the wheel and damaged the wheel or caliper. Pull the caliper and inspect the pads and retainers. If all looks good, some of those bolts come with loctite installed from the manufacture. If not, blue loctite and 25 foot pounds of torque will be close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom