Breach Loading the first round in your CCW (semi-auto)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered how many times it would take for an 'emergency release into battery' on my 1911 to change the overall length of a .45ACP round sliding up against the feedramp into the barrel. With a Winchester factory crimp, I just 'cycled' the gun 235 times (indexing the same round) before getting tired.

Before 1 cycle: OAL 1.272"
After 235 cycles, an irritated wife, and a tired hand: OAL 1.269"

I think the negligible difference is due to the copper jacket wearing off on my feedramp. I got a gun dirty, and didn't even fire it. :(

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I empty my mag to put practice ammo in, I put the SD ammo in a hat, shake it around and put it back in the mag. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it shakes up the order of the ammo going into the mag.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load my Glock 22 mag with 15 rounds. Whenever I go to re-load it, I open and lock back the slide, insert the mag and drop the slide. That's it! I don't top it off with one more round. My mag seats better thataway and it doesn't have as much strain on the mag release button.

Then, every day when I get dressed for work, I drop the mag, do a quick press check, verify the cartridge in the tube and gently re-insert the mag. It locks in nice and easy with no force other than standard finger pressure to seat it.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
loading his CCW by way of breach loading the first round so that you don't get the deep case seating from chambering the first round in the mag (after slamming it into the feedramp) over and over again.

Just rotate the rounds in your mag so it's not always the same one on top.

/thread

Reaction score
Another good reason to use the low-pressure .45 acp - just in case. But sure it's a decent idea, if not a bit hard on the extractor. Like the man said above, rotate the rounds, and you'll minimize setback. Or better yet, just leave it loaded and leave it alone. And/or shoot a few of the carry rounds each practice session - you need to know what those full-power rounds feel like anyway.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered how many times it would take for an 'emergency release into battery' on my 1911 to change the overall length of a .45ACP round sliding up against the feedramp into the barrel. With a Winchester factory crimp, I just 'cycled' the gun 235 times (indexing the same round) before getting tired.

Before 1 cycle: OAL 1.272"
After 235 cycles, an irritated wife, and a tired hand: OAL 1.269"

I think the negligible difference is due to the copper jacket wearing off on my feedramp. I got a gun dirty, and didn't even fire it. :(

Thanks for the test. I've always wondered about this. If you can mag feed a round once with no really measurable setback (with our reloading calipers) how many times would you begin to notice it. If it is moving and you can't measure it, it is less than 1/1000th every time and under similar conditions for each chambering should move the same (or increasingly less due to more bearing surface in the case/bullet.

This is the first time I've ever read someone actually doing an experiment instead of repeating what their pappy/guy at the gun store/the internet told them. Bravo.

When I take my carry ammo out of my 1911, I empty the mag and mix up the bullets. Randomize the top round as best I can.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the breach not totally lock up after dropping a round in, I've done this several times while on the range. It looked real close but was off probably just the width of the extractor and most times would lock up with a slap on the back of the slide. I stopped doing it cause it just didn't feel right.
I always load from a mag when prepping my SD guns.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess the answer depends on if the pistol is a controlled-feed pistol or not. Even if it is, that doesn't guarantee that it's bad for the extractor. Are most semi-auto pistols controlled-feed?

MBB HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

All pistols I can think of have controlled feed.

Do not drop one in the chamber to load, whether its a plastic or steel handgun.

They are not designed to be loaded that way. period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom