Broward sheriff Scott Israel refuses to resign, touts 'amazing leadership' in interview with Tapper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FDEB78B6-3831-4019-A7F1-AFDDF88272DA.jpeg

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are the tactics of despotic tyrants and fascist regimes. Deny the crime rate is high by simply not recording the crimes or arresting criminals. The more uneasy and oppressed the populace is by criminal activity, the more they turn to the government as their savior, the more their "saviors" ignore their cries. Then when a catastrophic tragedy occurs, rather than acknowledge a cascading series of failures on the part of the government, they ignore, deflect and distract from the real issues. Instead, they call for more control over the populace, blithely ignoring the incontrovertible facts that they refuse to control the unlawful amongst us in the first place.

Broward County is overseen by despotic tyrants. Sheriff Israel is a despotic tyrant. That's the only logical way to look at this issue. :(

Given this article does it seem something like the Promise Program is in place here? The argument is that students that assault teachers shouldn't be suspended, shouldn't the question be why aren't they being dealt with by the juvenile system instead of the school system after committing a violent act?
http://www.news9.com/story/37597336/senate-committee-passes-bill-concerning-school-violence

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Given this article does it seem something like the Promise Program is in place here? The argument is that students that assault teachers shouldn't be suspended, shouldn't the question be why aren't they being dealt with by the juvenile system instead of the school system after committing a violent act?
http://www.news9.com/story/37597336/senate-committee-passes-bill-concerning-school-violence

Kinda, but with caveats that the Promise Program doesn't have. It makes the parents responsible for their kids when they get in trouble in the classroom as it should be.
  1. A parent shadows the student for the length of the suspension.
  2. The parent agrees to requiring the student to participate in in-school counseling.
  3. The parent seeks professional counseling instead of suspension.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda, but with caveats that the Promise Program doesn't have. It makes the parents responsible for their kids when they get in trouble in the classroom as it should be.
  1. A parent shadows the student for the length of the suspension.
  2. The parent agrees to requiring the student to participate in in-school counseling.
  3. The parent seeks professional counseling instead of suspension.

My point was we're talking about assault, a violent act not graffiti, pulling a fire alarm, or even petty theft. If committing a violent act on an authority figure is not enough to turn it over to juvie what is? Are kids basically excused for criminal acts with a slap on the hand if nobody is seriously hurt or killed? And if you read my other post in the "Schools today" thread about the Green case it raises questions about how much accountability there is even when juvenile court is involved.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My point was we're talking about assault, a violent act not graffiti, pulling a fire alarm, or even petty theft. If committing a violent act on an authority figure is not enough to turn it over to juvie what is? Are kids basically excused for criminal acts with a slap on the hand if nobody is seriously hurt or killed? And if you read my other post in the "Schools today" thread about the Green case it raises questions about how much accountability there is even when juvenile court is involved.
Kids are traditionally handled with soft gloves these days in every school program. I don't know if they are afraid of legal repercussions, or what.
In my day, you went to the hallway with the teacher and his 2' paddle, got your swats, signed the paddle and went back to be ridiculed by the class.
Hell yes it was embarrassing,(called bullying now) but now it would be called assault and battery along with child abuse, and whatever litany of legal BS they could stack on.
I know it worked for me to keep my smart mouth shut, and when attending a class with a teacher that had a light trigger and a heavy hand on the paddle, I damned sure kept my mouth shut in class. Other classes with teachers that were not inclined to paddle, I was the class clown.
One has to know when to fold em, and when to hold em.
Kids aren't stupid. Even when 2 yrs old they know which parent they can take advantage of.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kids are traditionally handled with soft gloves these days in every school program. I don't know if they are afraid of legal repercussions, or what.
In my day, you went to the hallway with the teacher and his 2' paddle, got your swats, signed the paddle and went back to be ridiculed by the class.
Hell yes it was embarrassing,(called bullying now) but now it would be called assault and battery along with child abuse, and whatever litany of legal BS they could stack on.
I know it worked for me to keep my smart mouth shut, and when attending a class with a teacher that had a light trigger and a heavy hand on the paddle, I damned sure kept my mouth shut in class. Other classes with teachers that were not inclined to paddle, I was the class clown.
One has to know when to fold em, and when to hold em.
Kids aren't stupid. Even when 2 yrs old they know which parent they can take advantage of.

My school experience was very similar, and while I pulled more than my share of crap including fights but I never even considered laying hands on a teacher. And again it's not just schools using soft gloves. Think about how long we've been hearing
“He is only a child. He doesn’t understand.”
“His brain is not fully developed. He can’t make good decisions or be held fully accountable for his actions.” Yet how often do we hear the same people saying kids should have more freedom and rights, it's a contradiction that is ignored to the detriment of society.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My school experience was very similar, and while I pulled more than my share of crap including fights but I never even considered laying hands on a teacher. And again it's not just schools using soft gloves. Think about how long we've been hearing
“He is only a child. He doesn’t understand.”
“His brain is not fully developed. He can’t make good decisions or be held fully accountable for his actions.” Yet how often do we hear the same people saying kids should have more freedom and rights, it's a contradiction that is ignored to the detriment of society.
Kids don't have rights until they leave the nest and enter the real world in my opinion.When you live on my dime, you live by my rules.
If they grow up, leave, and have to move back in, they lose those rights again. My rules rule.
Your not going to live in my basement in your underwear and live off my dime without penalty's and sacrifices with a list of chores to take care of.
I'm the nightmare parent of any millennial in existence.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kids don't have rights until they leave the nest and enter the real world in my opinion.When you live on my dime, you live by my rules.
If they grow up, leave, and have to move back in, they lose those rights again. My rules rule.
Your not going to live in my basement in your underwear and live off my dime without penalty's and sacrifices with a list of chores to take care of.
I'm the nightmare parent of any millennial in existence.

That's pretty much how it used to be but as I'm sure you know it isn't much anymore. And on top of that much of our taxes go to supporting other people's kids(and adults) mistakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom