Building a AR15 rifle? - Who makes the best parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I vote to fill the lower with JP parts, the upper with Bravo company parts, and screw the barrel of your choosing on with one of the VTAC handguards.

I think you'd be hard pressed to mess up.

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far the the easy choices for me are:
Magpul PMags
ERGO Pistol Grip (Ambi)
Magpul ACS Stock
Magpul MBUS front and rear sights
Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point
Grip Pod Automatic Tactical BiPod Foregrip
UTG Carbine Quad Rail (or VTAC)

I am also thinking of a complete lower from Rock River Arms or SpikesTactical

Still need some suggestion for a upper with 16" barrel and bolt carrier group.

Thanks y'all :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far the the easy choices for me are:
Magpul PMags
ERGO Pistol Grip (Ambi)
Magpul ACS Stock
Magpul MBUS front and rear sights
Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point
Grip Pod Automatic Tactical BiPod Foregrip
UTG Carbine Quad Rail (or VTAC)

I am also thinking of a complete lower from Rock River Arms or SpikesTactical

Still need some suggestion for a upper with 16" barrel and bolt carrier group.

Thanks y'all :)

Well - there's the problem with "the best parts". :thumb:

UTG is airsoft quality - if you seriously want the best, then look at Daniel Defense, Troy, LaRue, etc... for your quadrail.

I'm a fan of Magpul's stuff, but the MBUS sights are definitely not my favorite flip-ups (don't get me wrong, I've got a set on one of my rigs and I'm not selling them), but there's another post in this section where I go over a few of the good/bad points of them (in my opinion anyways).

The ASAP and MS2 are a good combo, but if you know someone with an AR, you might make sure you're comfortable with a single-point sling before you buy.

I sold my Grip-Pod shortly after getting it due to weight and its ability to always find my sack when bouncing around as I was carrying it around for hunting or whatever on a 2-point sling - every friggin time, it would get me right in the man-berries.

I'd actually look at a MIAD over the Ergo Grip if it were me (I've got tiny clown hands though).

And for all the hub-bub over the ACS, I actually got to handle one the other day - other than the beard-yanking issue with the VLTOR EMOD, I'd take my EMOD over an ACS any day. I don't know, the ACS just sort of hit me like "meh" - I was expecting to be a little more excited about it when I got to see it.

The UBR, M93B, PRS, CTR - they all hit me with a sort of impressive presence, but the ACS just didn't do it - different strokes for different folks though - if you like it, by all means, pick one up (its not like you can't get your money out of Magpul stuff should you want to change it later - its almost like currency around here).

If you're looking at getting a complete lower and a complete upper, why not just buy a complete carbine and upgrade it with the goodies you're talking about (if you buy a complete RRA, you get their 2-stage trigger, if you buy a complete Sabre defense, you get the thunder-cat logo, if you buy a complete Noveske, you get the extra Iron Cross stamp across the upper/lower).

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my Grip-Pod shortly after getting it due to weight and its ability to always find my sack when bouncing around as I was carrying it around for hunting or whatever on a 2-point sling - every friggin time, it would get me right in the man-berries.

Ouch!!! that doesnt sound too good but this made me LOL

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
give mark at marks firearms a call. he is in Moore and has good prices and is really knowledgeable and friendly. 405.793.1875 or check out marksfirearms.com

Grywen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the stock and grip are based mostly on preference. find people or places with different set ups and handle them. find the ones you like and go with them. i'm a fan of the ergo grip but the miad is a nice set up and has it's place. ez is a good guy and isn't a "fanboy". i'd also strongly advise against most any thing utg, especially on the quad rail. you may also want to check out yankee hill machines' handrails as another option

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the stock and grip are based mostly on preference. find people or places with different set ups and handle them. find the ones you like and go with them. i'm a fan of the ergo grip but the miad is a nice set up and has it's place. ez is a good guy and isn't a "fanboy". i'd also strongly advise against most any thing utg, especially on the quad rail. you may also want to check out yankee hill machines' handrails as another option

One more note on the grip - I'm finding more and more that the Tango Down grip that I got not too long ago from Yukon Glocker is actually quite comfy for folks with smaller hands (both my sons seem to like shooting it too).

Latest posts

Top Bottom