Building a house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, watch those sod guys. They'll cover up your sprinkler heads. lol

A saferoom is more expensive than most cellars, but well worth it. Much more utility.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something you should spec before they build is your blower door test results. If your builder doesn't know what a blower door test is, run away. If they do, they should know how tight they can build your house for a given budget. Are you shooting for an ach50 of 2.5 (which I think should be the minimum) or something super tight like a 0.65? The contractor should check this at various stages along the way and address leaks as needed. There is one time to seal a house properly and that is when it's being built.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions....I've already got a notebook full of notes. We looked at a LOT of builders....lots of houses and narrowed it down to a couple...the one we chose (not Homecreations) is our favorite, we have talked to them many times, looked at their new homes and even some of their older homes and talked to the owners as well...none of them had any negative things to say about their homes....as far as quality and craftsmanship.

The #1 think I've heard overall is that its very hard to stay under or on budget...we've already incorporated a lot of the things that we wanted, including a 6 person storm shelter in the garage. I'd love to have a safe room, but I don't want to give up any square footage or money that I don't have. You guys have brought up a few good things that I'm gonna discuss with the builder next time we sit down and talk. Thanks!

Keep the suggestions good or bad, coming!

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would find a brand new house that you love rather than building one. Save the stress and the money. You will pay more if you have one built.

If you do build one, make sure you have a gas line ran out to the back porch. That way you can get a nice webber grill that hooks up to natural gas. Then you can forget all about filling propane tanks. I can't tell you how nice that feeling is. We actually have gas lines ran to the utility room for a natural gas dryer and to the kitchen for a natural gas stove.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another tip.
When the concrete guy shows up, pay the concrete guy.
When the dirt folks show up, pay the dirt movers.j
When the plumber/electricians/roofers show up, pay them individually for their services.
If you pay the
GC, and he doesn't pay his subs, they will put a lein on your property. They will get their money, and you will be out twice what it should have cost..

Latest posts

Top Bottom