Burris Speed Bead....anyone have one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Burris Speed Bead for my winged critter getter. Does anyone here have on and how do you like it? I've dropped money on other expensive dodads in the past and was dissapointed, so any insite would be appriciated.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put one on a friend's Beretta 390. It was the one MADE for this particular model, and it needed a shim to get the red dot down near the front sight, not exactly confidence-building. It seemed rather cheaply put together inside. I will be delighted if it works through an entire year of duck-hunting for him.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may not want to heat this, but a shotgun is not made to be 'aimed'.

We have a state champion in skeet, trap, and sporting clays, teaching here in tulsa, and for new shooters he takes the bead off of the shotgun.

Very simply, if you are looking at the bead, then you are not looking at the target, and when you shift your eyes back to the bead, then bird, then bead, then bird, then bead, the bird has traveled several feet (if you take your eyes off of a target for a second and focus on the bead, that bird may have moved, 3, 6, 9, 12 feet and if you are not staring at it, you will shoot behind it. Your brain will direct you to shoot where you last saw the target and that is behind it) and can be getting out of range. also, people tend to look at the bead as a check right before they shoot, which pulls our eyes off the target and our eyes/gun quits swinging with the target and we shoot behind it.

If your guns fits you, it will shoot where you are looking. In shotgunning, you never do a hard focus on the bead, you see the barrel in your secondary vision while you STARE at the target. You never do bead, target, bead, target, etc as you do with a rifle and a still target.

It takes a while for us to have confidence to never check the gun's bead but stare only at the target 'as it is moving' but i guarantee you if you learn to do this your shooting will improve.

The worst thing a shotgunner can have on the front of the gun is this 'big', bright' green or red fiber optic bead or tube that will pull your eye off of your target and focus on this bright object instead of a moving target.

Again, you might not want to hear this, but the best money spent on shotgunning, if to find a qualified instructor who is also a proven shot, and pay him to teach you hot to shoot a shotgun. I say this not because I am a instructor, but because i have paid the money for a qualified instructor and it made all the difference in the world.

Guys that started with pistol or rifle where sights are all important, and then went to shotgunning usually have a real hard time hitting targets because it is drilled into them to use the sights.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may not want to heat this, but a shotgun is not made to be 'aimed'.

We have a state champion in skeet, trap, and sporting clays, teaching here in tulsa, and for new shooters he takes the bead off of the shotgun.

Very simply, if you are looking at the bead, then you are not looking at the target, and when you shift your eyes back to the bead, then bird, then bead, then bird, then bead, the bird has traveled several feet (if you take your eyes off of a target for a second and focus on the bead, that bird may have moved, 3, 6, 9, 12 feet and if you are not staring at it, you will shoot behind it. Your brain will direct you to shoot where you last saw the target and that is behind it) and can be getting out of range. also, people tend to look at the bead as a check right before they shoot, which pulls our eyes off the target and our eyes/gun quits swinging with the target and we shoot behind it.

If your guns fits you, it will shoot where you are looking. In shotgunning, you never do a hard focus on the bead, you see the barrel in your secondary vision while you STARE at the target. You never do bead, target, bead, target, etc as you do with a rifle and a still target.

It takes a while for us to have confidence to never check the gun's bead but stare only at the target 'as it is moving' but i guarantee you if you learn to do this your shooting will improve.

The worst thing a shotgunner can have on the front of the gun is this 'big', bright' green or red fiber optic bead or tube that will pull your eye off of your target and focus on this bright object instead of a moving target.

Again, you might not want to hear this, but the best money spent on shotgunning, if to find a qualified instructor who is also a proven shot, and pay him to teach you hot to shoot a shotgun. I say this not because I am a instructor, but because i have paid the money for a qualified instructor and it made all the difference in the world.

Guys that started with pistol or rifle where sights are all important, and then went to shotgunning usually have a real hard time hitting targets because it is drilled into them to use the sights.

That doesnt make any sense. I have no problem following the bead on my shotgun at whatever Im shooting. I dont go bead, target, bead, target you how ever you put it. I put the bead on the target and follow through. If what you said is true then why do shotguns come with sights or even rifles have iron sights

Latest posts

Top Bottom