Butchering a hog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a mobile butcher come out to do our cattle. Pulls up in a 40' enclosed. Swings two cranes out of the back. I put the steer down. She drags him up to skin and remove the offal. She quarters him while hanging on the big crane. Then swings each quarter to the second crane that puts them on the rail that runs down the center of the trailer. Once that's done, she closes the trailer, kicks the AC's on, and gets to cutting/packaging. We wet age the meat for 3 weeks and then freeze it. Pretty slick little setup and never have to haul a cow anywhere.
I'm also in Lincoln county and would like to know more of this mobile butcher. Please and thank you.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve cleaned quite a few deer and wild pigs on the ground, and I disagree that skinning is easier before hanging.
6 of 1 and half dozen of the other. Most professionals I've watched on video do as much possible before the carcass leaves the ground. I'd suspect it's about carcass poundage.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Field/ woods dress of wild is not planned as well as farm dressed. The hide shields debris from meat contact. A hanging carcass is a moving carcass which adds to the degree of difficulty. I built a V shape carcass stand for pig size carcass. Darn sure won't get a bovine in it though.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Field/ woods dress of wild is not planned as well as farm dressed. The hide shields debris from meat contact. A hanging carcass is a moving carcass which adds to the degree of difficulty. I built a V shape carcass stand for pig size carcass. Darn sure won't get a bovine in it though.
I keep planning to build one for pigs. My neighbor said that is they way they did it at a processor he worked at. He said deer season all he did was skin deer all day long.

Having the carcass not able to flop over is the key. peal the skin down as far on each side before hanging it and all to have is the back hide to deal with. If you have 2 people it works on the ground too, one to hold it steady feet in the air. Leave the guts in till you hang and finish skinning.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
always just used a single tree hooked into the rear legs behind the tendon. before the front loader and hydraulics used a set of rope wire stretchers to raise the hog for scalding. i would prefer a steam generator to scald with though. always saved the hide to use in beans and for frying.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brings back memories. When I was a young man I had a friend in South Jersey. Farmland area. There is a group family hog slaughter and butcher. It started pre-dawn, with the hot water boiling in a big tub. There were probably over two dozen men and young men present. It was a production line, I can’t remember how many hogs were done that day but it was a tremendous amount. The women were in the house, an old farmhouse with a huge kitchen table. It was a big wooden table, with wooden benches down the length of it. On either side. At one point they fed the men breakfast. The men had to ate in shifts in order to fit in the kitchen. The men sat down and the women served the men. It wasn’t sexist in the least, with a tremendous amount of respect that the man gave the women for their role in this family group activity. And I don’t mean one family, I mean neighbors of farmers together working in a single effort. Lunch was also served in the same way.
It was an all day production event. Communities of men and women like that are the backbone of what made America great. And don’t get me wrong, I am not leaving God out.
I am looking forward to having time to watch the videos you posted. Thanks a lot.
That was common place once upon a time. That is until mankind lost touch with God and family.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom