Buying first house - advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the realtor is paid a percentage based on the sales price of the house. So a higher sales price, more profit for the realtor.
Not that a specific realtor is trying to push you above your means, but with this incentive for him to push a higher price in mind, I would take his statement with a grain of salt.
Yeah, my first home and second home had been on the market for awhile due to the low housing market, and when I offered a substantially lower offer, they feigned outrage and told me the seller would never take that kind of price. In both cases within hours the realtor came back and said the seller would take the offer.
In sellers markets, my deal probably wouldn't have flown but we got lucky both times with the economy down.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, my first home and second home had been on the market for awhile due to the low housing market, and when I offered a substantially lower offer, they feigned outrage and told me the seller would never take that kind of price. In both cases within hours the realtor came back and said the seller would take the offer.
In sellers markets, my deal probably wouldn't have flown but we got lucky both times with the economy down.
According to my agent it's always a seller's market in Stillwater. You can find some raggedy looking places on Duck Street or Knoblock that sell for a pretty penny.

There's more people than ever in town and only so many buildings. They're built like 2 or 3 big ol apartment buildings around town, but few actual houses.

Hopefully I'll be able to grab up the one I'm looking at. My agent was surprised it's listed at what it is... Which may turn out to be a bad thing I guess

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to my agent it's always a seller's market in Stillwater. You can find some raggedy looking places on Duck Street or Knoblock that sell for a pretty penny.

There's more people than ever in town and only so many buildings. They're built like 2 or 3 big ol apartment buildings around town, but few actual houses.

Hopefully I'll be able to grab up the one I'm looking at. My agent was surprised it's listed at what it is... Which may turn out to be a bad thing I guess

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Stillwater is certainly a sellers market. Good luck.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a few others have said, be willing to learn new home repair skills. I'm not very handy, but through the years have slowly accumulated a few fix-it-yourself type lessons. Even small stuff like fixing a drippy faucet, installing a garbage disposal, replacing toilets, changing light fixtures, very basic electrical wiring work, and stuff like this has saved me thousands of dollars. Accumulated a nice collection of tools in the garage, too.
Especially if you plan on being a landlord someday, these skills will become even more imperative.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like a few others have said, be willing to learn new home repair skills. I'm not very handy, but through the years have slowly accumulated a few fix-it-yourself type lessons. Even small stuff like fixing a drippy faucet, installing a garbage disposal, replacing toilets, changing light fixtures, very basic electrical wiring work, and stuff like this has saved me thousands of dollars. Accumulated a nice collection of tools in the garage, too.
Especially if you plan on being a landlord someday, these skills will become even more imperative.

Did the landlord thing once...

...never again. Renters don't look after anything, and they may even steal from you. Had both happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom