Caliber Question: 454 200gr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am very new (as in still haven't loaded my first round yet) to reloading. I think I have my machine set up properly and will start loading soon. Last night I was at Heartland in Edmond looking for bullets for .45ACP to load for my 1911. I was wanting to go cheap since these first runs are gonna be my training. They had two bags of non jacketed flat point bullets on the shelf. They had 454 200gr printed on the label. I know the 200gr is the weight but was wondering about the 454. The diameters of the bullets I see in my Lyman and Speers book is a .452 and .451. Can I use these 454's to load .45ACP? There was no period (.) before the number 454 on the bag, if that is important. The label read 454 200gr not .454 200gr.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not know enough about the casting side of it to talk inteligently about it. I would assume that that is the diameter. From what I have read about shooting cast projectiles, for best results you need to slug your barrel to figure out the appropiate bullet size. Too small and the barrel will lead and too large the barrel will lead up. Ideally you want the bullets to be .001"-.002" larger than what the barrel slugs at. For the real serious questions I think it would be worth the drive to see Mitch at J&K bullet casters. He has been pretty helpful to me in the past. Hear is a pretty good read on it.

http://shakeypete.blogspot.com/2005/06/cast-bullets-primer.html

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know enough about the casting side of it to talk inteligently about it. I would assume that that is the diameter. From what I have read about shooting cast projectiles, for best results you need to slug your barrel to figure out the appropiate bullet size. Too small and the barrel will lead and too large the barrel will lead up. Ideally you want the bullets to be .001"-.002" larger than what the barrel slugs at. For the real serious questions I think it would be worth the drive to see Mitch at J&K bullet casters. He has been pretty helpful to me in the past. Hear is a pretty good read on it.

http://shakeypete.blogspot.com/2005/06/cast-bullets-primer.html

Thanks for the link. I guess I shouldn't be so cheap and pony up some cash for jacketed bullets. Thanks again.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I guess I shouldn't be so cheap and pony up some cash for jacketed bullets. Thanks again.

Its not being cheap. Thats the point of reloading for a pistol. Shoot more for less. Enjoy it man. You have to save somewhere or its not worth it. There is a guy on cast boolits.com that loads cast with gas checks for his AR. He has a pile of lead about as big as a job box that he got somewhere for free. He is loading the .223 with range brass for like 2.50 a box or something like that. INSANE.

I shoot cast in all my revolvers. I don't load any jacketed bullets for pistols. All are plated or cast. I plan on buying some cast bullets from JK to load 45 and 40 when it comes time to load again.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get your calipers and measure one. You should have at least a cheap dial caliper. Perfect use for one. Then read your manual and find the bullet diameter in the manual. Don't buy until you are sure. A .001" over on a cast bullet isn't bad and should work in your gun. If your bore is tight it will raise pressure if it is loose the extra .001" will be more accurate.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.451-.452 is for acp and .454 is for 45 long colt, 454 casul etc. if you use .454 bullets you would probably have to try and run them back thru the sizing die to squeeze them enough to chamber reliablely. not worth the trouble.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.451-.452 is for acp and .454 is for 45 long colt, 454 casul etc. if you use .454 bullets you would probably have to try and run them back thru the sizing die to squeeze them enough to chamber reliablely. not worth the trouble.

That's pretty much what I was told at Heartland yesterday when I went back to check on them again. I'm glad I didn't buy them. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom