Calling all 1911 lovers! I need your opinion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blankenship_kevin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking for a 1911 and my friend told me he would sell me his. It was originally a standard milspec Springfield 1911. After he purchased it, it was immediately taken to a smith who put around $650 of work into it... trigger, new colt barrel, sight, polishing, etc. Don't have the list in front of me but there was a ton of work done and I know of the smith and know his work is excellent! Part of what he did he calls the "reliability package." To make a long story short, after a little haggling my friend said he would take $900 for the gun, 3 mags, holster, and several hundred rounds of ammo. Do you think that is a fair price? My only concern is that I will never be able to get out of it what I will have in it if I ever sell because most average people will not see it for what it is. Opinions?

Thanks,
Kevin

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally tend to be a little sketchy about buying things that have been modified heavily, but it sounds like it's a friend and you are confident he's being 100% straight with you about what's been added.

If it's in good shape, the work is quality, and you just plain want the thing, probably won't hurt. I would take a moment and see what the same amount of money can get you, ie. a NIB 'Loaded' model just about.

Also, given how much ammo is still how much and what kind could play a significant-ish role in whether or not the price is fair. It sounds like for a used milspec with work the price is pretty high, but you would be getting a lot with it so you have to weigh that against a new one as well.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I will say this about 1911's and guns in general. They are kinda like cars. You may spend thousands of dollars personalizing them to your taste, but when you go to sell it a Honda Accord is still a Honda Accord.

So My point is unless your friend had one of the top 1911 gunsmith's in the country do the work it's still a Springfield GI, Gunbroker has ton's of them listed today, Average price is about $550.00. I saw at least 4 that are listed between $400.-500.00.

Now if you want to break it down a little more, let's say it is LNIB condition fair price $600.00, Don Hume Holster or something simular $150.00, 200 rounds of ammo $75.00, 3 wilson Combat mags or something simular $80.00. Obviously you can probably beat up my prices some but using these your at $810.00

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it is a nationally recognized gunsmith that is known for customization, like Nowlin, etc., you will not recoup your money. I could do the same things to my RIA, and when it comes time to sell it, it is a RIA. Unless you find someone that wanted the same things you did on it, they will not value it the same.

That being said, if it is what you want, buy it, shoot it, don't worry about the resale if you think you will keep it. If you are buying it for an investment, don't. I figure the enjoyment that I get out of shooting mine, can not be taken away from me, and in the same line, takes away some of the value of the gun.

There is the Gun Show this weekend, go find a new one, and customize it yourself. Shoot it for a while to find out what mods you really want before you do anything to it. When you are ready, there are a couple of guys on the board that are excellent with them, Olyeller, and Dr Barry Greyson. Both of them are very busy, so you may have to wait on them, but it is worth it.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you shot it much? How does it shoot? Have you shot 1911's enough to know what you want in one? If it performs like a $1000+ pistol it's probably worth $900. On the other hand, if you want to sell it you will have to convince someone else that it's worth $900.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never buy a gun looking to get what you paid for it out of it. Guns are like cars and women ...

If you like it and it is what you want, for a price you can live with buy it.
If not, well then, I would pass if I were you.

I have a Colt 1911 that was heavily modified. Some people have told me I paid too much for it, but that was before they shot it. I will be buried with that gun (well, if Gillman doesn't come to the funeral ... if he does I'll be going to my grave unarmed!) :wink2:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Colt 1911 that was heavily modified. Some people have told me I paid too much for it, but that was before they shot it. I will be buried with that gun (well, if Gillman doesn't come to the funeral ... if he does I'll be going to my grave unarmed!) :wink2:

And if I can ever find you at a time when Scott is at work, your dogs are locked up, and you aren't watching, you might be unarmed before then.......:rubhands:

Latest posts

Top Bottom